How to use miles per hour and mileage to estimate travel time

  1. #1
    OhioSnowBird13
    Guest

    How to use miles per hour and mileage to estimate travel time

    I'm setting up a trip spreadsheet and would like to include a column to
    estimate expected time to travel. I have a column for distance from Point A
    to Point B. What I'd like to do is be able to divide by my expected rate of
    travel (72 mph) to determine expected time from A to B. I'd also like to
    have a second column that shows cumulative time from the beginning of the
    trip.

  2. #2
    Heidi
    Guest

    RE: How to use miles per hour and mileage to estimate travel time

    Ohio,

    You could set up your sheet as follows:

    column titles:
    A | B | C | D
    Description | Distance (miles) |Est Time | Running Total

    So, in A2, you would enter your text for "City 1 to City 2". Continue down
    column A for each leg of your journey.
    In B2, you would enter the distance between them "500" (don't add any text
    like "miles"). Continue down column B, entering the distances for each leg.
    In C2, you would enter the formula =B2/72. Click on cell C2, and fill down
    that formula to the end of your list.

    In cell D3, enter the formula =D2+C3 and fill that down to the end of your
    list.

    Happy Trails!

    Heidi