Possible index/match problem?

  1. #1
    smoore
    Guest

    Possible index/match problem?

    II have a list that contains col. A with dates in it. Cols. B, C, D, E,
    and so on contains either a number or "Free" or "Vac". I need to
    extract the dates that have Vac. beside them and have them listed on
    another sheet, per the following example. Is index/match the way to go
    about this? Thanks for any help you can give.

    Date Tom **** Harry
    1/2 8 8
    Vac.
    1/3 8 Vac. 8
    1/4 Vac. 8 Free
    1/5 Vac. Vac. 8

    Summary on next sheet:

    Tom **** Harry
    1/4 1/3 1/2
    1/5 1/5

  2. #2
    smoore
    Guest

    Re: Possible index/match problem?

    My formatting got a little skewed in the posting. The Vac. that shows
    up in A3 was originally in D2 un der Harry.

  3. #3
    Kevin Vaughn
    Guest

    Re: Possible index/match problem?

    I was hoping that someone would post a solution to this as it represents a
    common theme that I've seen that I as yet have not been able to solve (using
    a function. I'm sure it could be done with VBA.) The formula that I came up
    with, which obviously doesn't work is:
    =INDEX(Sheet1!$A$2:$A$5,MATCH("Vac.",OFFSET($A$1,1,MATCH(B$7,$B$1:$D$1,0),5,1),0))

    This appears to give the correct info for the first instance of Vac., but
    what I have problems with is coming up with a way to have the formula
    basically start the search over from the previously found instance. In other
    words, it will always return the first occurrence.

    I don't know if there is a formulaic solution to this. If there is, I would
    love to know what it is.
    --
    Kevin Vaughn

  4. #4
    smoore
    Guest

    Re: Possible index/match problem?

    Kevin, do a search in this group for "List date adjacent to
    duplicates". Biff has come up with a solution for us that works
    seamlessly. Good luck with yours.