how to turn positive to negative values in excel

  1. #1
    Paula1
    Guest

    how to turn positive to negative values in excel

    I have a list of values which are positive or negative depending on a D or C
    value in the cell next to them. I need to turn the D values to negatives in
    order to sum the data

  2. #2
    Elkar
    Guest

    RE: how to turn positive to negative values in excel

    Are your values manually entered, or results of a formula? If manually
    entered, then you'll probably need to insert a new column and then use this
    formula:

    For this example, I'm assuming Column A holds D or C info, and Column B
    holds your values. This formula would then be entered in Column C.

    =IF(A1="D",-B1,B1)

    But if your values are the results of a formula, then you could most likely
    incorporate the above logic into the existing formula to avoid using an
    additional column.

    HTH,
    Elkar

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: how to turn positive to negative values in excel

    How about summing them without changing anything

    =SUM(IF(B1:B10="D",-A1:A10,A1:A10))

    which is an array formula, it should be committed with Ctrl-Shift-Enter, not
    just Enter.

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Forum Expert daddylonglegs's Avatar
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    14,675
    or even

    =SUMIF(B1:B10,"C",A1:A10)-SUMIF(B1:B10,"D",A1:A10)

  5. #5
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: how to turn positive to negative values in excel

    yeah ... good :-)

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...