Divide a cell by 2 and then add that together

  1. #1
    countrygirl0712
    Guest

    Divide a cell by 2 and then add that together

    I am trying to get an overtime rate to automatically calculate in an excel
    spreadsheet. I want to take the hourly rate in one cell divide it by 2 and
    then add the hourly rate to the rate I got by dividing and put that total
    into another cell. Example: Cell G5 is hourly rate of $10.00. I want to
    divide that by 2 which will give me $5.00. I want to add the $10.00 & $5.00
    together giving me $15.00 and I want that to go into say cell K5. Does
    anyone know how to do this?

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Divide a cell by 2 and then add that together

    One way:

    K5: =G5 * 1.5

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Divide a cell by 2 and then add that together

    =G5*1.5

    Bob Phillips

    "countrygirl0712" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    countrygirl0712
    Guest

    Re: Divide a cell by 2 and then add that together

    I came into work this morning very anxious to try the formula and it worked
    great. I put it in the cell that I wanted the answer in like this
    =sum(k5*1.5) and it worked great. Thank you so much for your help.

  5. #5
    countrygirl0712

  6. #6
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Divide a cell by 2 and then add that together

    Note that the SUM() in your formula is not necessary, simply applying a
    another function to the value returned by k5*1.5, returning the same
    value.

  7. #7
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Divide a cell by 2 and then add that together

    No need for SUM, nothing is being summed so it is superfluous.

  8. #8
    countrygirl0712
    Guest

    Re: Divide a cell by 2 and then add that together

    Okay, thanks again.

  9. #9
    countrygirl0712
    Guest

    Re: Divide a cell by 2 and then add that together

    Thank you very much.