Information retrieval functions

  1. #1
    Jasen
    Guest

    Information retrieval functions

    Hi,
    I'm new here, and a bit of an Excel newbie and would like to learn more but
    for starters I have a question about trying to retrieve and sort information
    from data in a worksheet.
    I work in a laboratory that tests patients for genetic abnormalities and
    this information goes into a system that we can pull out the data as a text
    file that will go into Excel as a new worksheet.
    What I want to do is this: In one column is the type of test and in
    another is the date the specimen was received. I want to find out the
    number of tests done for a particular month. I know I can do autofilter and
    do longwinded counts using that but is there an easier way to do this? Some
    sort of function? Would setting up the worksheet that is linked to Microsoft
    Access a better way to routinely pull up information??
    I'll be asking the boss to send me on a course I think!!
    Any help would be appreciated.
    cheers
    Jasen

  2. #2
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: Information retrieval functions

    If your test types are in Column A, and the corresponding dates are in
    Column B,
    AND, there is a date for every test, AND *no* date in Column B if Column A
    is blank, then you could just count the dates in Column B that match a given
    month and year.

    Enter a date in C1, and this will count the dates in Column B that match
    that month and year in Column B:

    =SUMPRODUCT((TEXT(B2:B100,"m/y")=TEXT(C1,"m/y"))*(B2:B100<>""))

    --
    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Jasen
    Guest

    Re: Information retrieval functions

    "Ragdyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:%[email protected]...
    > If your test types are in Column A, and the corresponding dates are in
    > Column B,
    > AND, there is a date for every test, AND *no* date in Column B if Column A
    > is blank, then you could just count the dates in Column B that match a
    > given
    > month and year.
    >
    > Enter a date in C1, and this will count the dates in Column B that match
    > that month and year in Column B:
    >
    > =SUMPRODUCT((TEXT(B2:B100,"m/y")=TEXT(C1,"m/y"))*(B2:B100<>""))

    Thanks RD, I assume this works to retrieve the numbers on specified dates
    for all tests together, but I forgot to add that I want to retrieve the
    numbers for "Test A" or "Test B" (for example) not both at the same
    time.....sorry. How do you adjust the formula to pull that out? Many
    thanks for this.
    Jasen

  4. #4
    Richard Buttrey
    Guest

    Re: Information retrieval functions

    On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 09:33:40 +1000, "Jasen" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >"Ragdyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:%[email protected]...
    >> If your test types are in Column A, and the corresponding dates are in
    >> Column B,
    >> AND, there is a date for every test, AND *no* date in Column B if Column A
    >> is blank, then you could just count the dates in Column B that match a
    >> given
    >> month and year.
    >>
    >> Enter a date in C1, and this will count the dates in Column B that match
    >> that month and year in Column B:
    >>
    >> =SUMPRODUCT((TEXT(B2:B100,"m/y")=TEXT(C1,"m/y"))*(B2:B100<>""))

    >Thanks RD, I assume this works to retrieve the numbers on specified dates
    >for all tests together, but I forgot to add that I want to retrieve the
    >numbers for "Test A" or "Test B" (for example) not both at the same
    >time.....sorry. How do you adjust the formula to pull that out? Many
    >thanks for this.
    >Jasen

    This is untested but enter either Test A or Test B in say D1 and
    extend the formula

    =SUMPRODUCT((TEXT(B2:B100,"m/y")=TEXT(C1,"m/y"))*(B2:B100<>"")*(A1:A100=D1))

    Hope this helps.

    Rgds
    Richard Buttrey
    __

  5. #5
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: Information retrieval functions

    Enter the test type you're looking to count into C2, and try this:

    =SUMPRODUCT((TEXT(B2:B100,"m/y")=TEXT(C1,"m/y"))*(A2:A100=C2))

    --

    -
    > > Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit

    !

    -

  6. #6
    Jasen
    Guest

    Re: Information retrieval functions

    "Ragdyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Enter the test type you're looking to count into C2, and try this:
    >
    > =SUMPRODUCT((TEXT(B2:B100,"m/y")=TEXT(C1,"m/y"))*(A2:A100=C2))

    Thank you, it works great! Spot on.
    I will take note of the format of how you did this and apply it elsewhere.
    Thanks again,
    Jasen