Save copy of folder with linked files

  1. #1
    SOS
    Guest

    Save copy of folder with linked files

    I have a folder containing files which are interlinked. Example

    C:\Folder A\Data\A1\1.xls
    C:\Folder A\Worksheet\A.xls

    Certain cells in A.xls is linked to 1.xls. I copy & paste Folder A to server
    H:

    When I open A.xls from server, the cell is linked correctly
    H:\FolderA\Data\A1\1.xls. However, it cannot be updated. It will prompt for
    location of the file, from My Document. How can make sure the link is
    correct. I can't update source individually as the linkage is massive (more
    than 300 files).

    Pls help

  2. #2
    Forum Moderator davesexcel's Avatar
    Regina
    MS-Off Ver
    MS 365
    Posts
    13,474
    http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/Default.htm
    download
    FindLink.zip
    it is an add-in the helps you find links

  3. #3
    SOS
    Guest

    Re: Save copy of folder with linked files

    In Lotus 123, there is a function File->User Setup->123 Preference->File
    locations->Workbook files. By changing the workbook files to X:\Folder A, the
    link will automatically follow the link and extract information from
    Data\A1\1.xls located in X:\Folder A

    Is there a similar function in Excel? I have tried
    Data->Option->General\Default file locations and changing the location to
    X:\Folder A. But, it won't update automatically. It will stop at X:\Folder,
    and not go into sub-folder Data\A1. [Note: I can't specify the sub-folder
    because, A.xls also link to sub-folder A2, A3, etc.]

  4. #4
    SOS
    Guest

    Re: Save copy of folder with linked files

    I'm so careless, the link actually is incorrect. I should have copy from C:
    and paste to Server: instead of a new folder in Server. The link can't read
    the intermediate folder.