Rounding

  1. #1
    squirrel74
    Guest

    Rounding

    I need a formula that will only round if the decimal of the result is greater
    than something ##.5, otherwise I don't want the formula to round. Below is an
    example of what I've developed so far, but I need to know how to enter in a
    value into the formula to indicate a number with a decimal greater than .5

    =IF(AVERAGE(B1:D1)>=##.5,ROUND(AVERAGE(B1:D1),0),AVERAGE(B1:D1))

    Ultimately what the formula will needs to do is average 3 numbers, rounding
    up only if the resulting decimal value is greater than .5, otherwise, the
    formula should not round at all.

    Example:
    When I enter the following numbers the results will round due to the decimal
    being greater than or equal to .5
    (90 + 76 + 70)/3 = 78.6667
    Result to display will be 79

    However if I enter the following numbers the results will not round due to
    the decimal being less than .5
    (85 + 80 + 70)/3 = 78.3333
    Result to display will be 78.3333

    Thank you to anyone that can help.

  2. #2
    Richard Buttrey
    Guest

    Re: Rounding

    On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 07:46:32 -0800, "squirrel74"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I need a formula that will only round if the decimal of the result is greater
    >than something ##.5, otherwise I don't want the formula to round. Below is an
    >example of what I've developed so far, but I need to know how to enter in a
    >value into the formula to indicate a number with a decimal greater than .5
    >
    >=IF(AVERAGE(B1:D1)>=##.5,ROUND(AVERAGE(B1:D1),0),AVERAGE(B1:D1))
    >
    >Ultimately what the formula will needs to do is average 3 numbers, rounding
    >up only if the resulting decimal value is greater than .5, otherwise, the
    >formula should not round at all.
    >
    >Example:
    >When I enter the following numbers the results will round due to the decimal
    >being greater than or equal to .5
    >(90 + 76 + 70)/3 = 78.6667
    >Result to display will be 79
    >
    >However if I enter the following numbers the results will not round due to
    >the decimal being less than .5
    >(85 + 80 + 70)/3 = 78.3333
    >Result to display will be 78.3333
    >
    >Thank you to anyone that can help.

    If I've understood you correctly, a simple modification to your
    formula is shown below. A1 holds the value of the decimal test value,
    e.g. 0.5 in your example.

    =IF(AVERAGE(B1:D1)-INT(AVERAGE(B1:D1))>=A1,ROUND(AVERAGE(B1:D1),0),AVERAGE(B1:D1))

    HTH

    Richard Buttrey
    __

  3. #3
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: Rounding

    Maybe....

    =IF((A1-INT(A1))>=0.5,ROUNDUP(A1,0),A1)

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  4. #4
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Rounding

    One way:

    =ROUND(AVERAGE(B1:D1),15 - 15*(MOD(AVERAGE(B1:D1),1)>=0.5))

    In article <[email protected]>,