sorting range changes sum??? (excel)

  1. #1
    bertbarndoor
    Guest

    sorting range changes sum??? (excel)

    Hi, this is probably simple to fix, but after googleing for a while, I
    still haven't found it. I have a formula on a worksheet that includes a
    sum of a range of data on another worksheet. When I sort the column of
    data on the other worksheet, the sum changes on the other 'report'
    worksheet as the range now contains different data. How can I get excel
    to sum the specific cells in the original range (short of selecting
    each cell with the ctrl key) and maintain focus on those cells, even
    after a sort might disperse them all over the column? Thanks,

    Rob

    sorting range changes sum??? (excel)

  2. #2
    Guest

    Re: sorting range changes sum??? (excel)

    Hi

    Is there anything specific about those cells? Are they all the same month,
    the same salesman, the same product? If so, you can sum using SUMIF or
    SUMPRODUCT - whether they are sorted or not. It is very dodgy summing
    information by where it is on the sheet!

    Andy.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    bertbarndoor
    Guest

    Re: sorting range changes sum??? (excel)

    Let's say I two worksheets in the workbook, a report worksheet which
    rolls up data and such and a data sheet that has all the back-end data.
    On the data sheet, I have 3 columns, last name, customer id, and sales
    volume. Initially, I manually sort the data worksheet by last name. On
    the seperate report worksheet, I sum the range of sales volume for
    everyone whose last name begins with "B". However, if I go to the
    "data" sheet and sort by, say sales volume, the total changes on the
    "report" sheet as the original range that only included B last names
    now contains all sorts of different cutomers????? Thanks,

    Rob

  4. #4
    Guest

    Re: sorting range changes sum??? (excel)

    Hi

    I would suggest a SUMIF formula - like this:
    =SUMIF(C2:C100,"B*",D2:D100)
    where your names are in C2:C100 and your values are in D2:D100.

    Hope this helps.

  5. #5
    bertbarndoor
    Guest

    Re: sorting range changes sum??? (excel)

    Thanks, it is not really what I was looking for, but it will do the
    trick. I was just wondering if you could hard-code excel to focus on
    specific cells and could get excel to follow those cells around during
    a sort or rearrange, regardless of any state-dependency. Oh well, no
    big, your solution works. Thanks again. _Rob