Lookup and Sum

  1. #1
    SMTheodore
    Guest

    Lookup and Sum

    Hi,

    I am having trouble coming up with a formula for my data below. I need to
    lookup the 1st thru 8th digits, and the 11th thru 13th digits (digits 9 & 10
    are dynamic). If the 1st thru 8th digits, and the 11th thru 13th digits
    match, I need to sum the col be values. Using the example below, cells
    B1,B2,and B4 should be summed.

    Col. A Col. B
    L0234568AE0T1 492
    L0234568AD0T1 300
    L0334568AA0T1 100
    L0234568AF0T1 50

    Thanks in advance!
    Suzanne

  2. #2
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: Lookup and Sum

    =SUMIF(A1:A4,"L0234568??0T1",B1:B4)

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: Lookup and Sum

    Use this formula in each row

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT($A$1:$A$4,8)=LEFT(A1,8)),--(RIGHT($A$1:$A$4,3)=RIGHT(A1,3)),$B$1:$B$4)

    The problem is you'll get the same sum on rows 1,2, and 4. The only way to
    get around that is to generate a list of the unique combinations of first
    8/last 3 characters and reference taht list in your formula