How do I use the criteria "is not blank" in a SUMIF formula?

  1. #1
    Pretender
    Guest

    How do I use the criteria "is not blank" in a SUMIF formula?

    I have a simple three column spreadsheet: Column 1 is a description; Column 2
    is a range of extensions (6700-6749; 6800-6815; etc.); Column 3 is the number
    of extensions from column 2, which I manually typed. At the botton of Column
    3 I want to sum all of the numbers in Column 3 for which the corresponding
    cell in Column 2 is not blank. I am creating a dial plan and know that I do
    not have enough extensions, so some of the cells in Column 2 are blank
    (meaning I do not yet have those extensions acquired).

    Is there a criteria I can use in the SUMIF function that means "IS NOT
    BLANK"? I want this formula to sum only the numbers in Column 3 for which I
    have typed the range of extensions in Column 2. Thanks in advance for any
    help.

  2. #2
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: How do I use the criteria "is not blank" in a SUMIF formula?

    Try something like this:

    For a list of values (or blanks) in A1:A10 and numbers in B1:B10

    B11: =SUMIF(A1:A10,"<>",B1:B10)

    Note: if a cell contains "", an apostrophe, or a space, it may appear blank
    but it is NOT.

    Does that help?

    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP-Pro

  3. #3
    Pretender
    Guest

    RE: How do I use the criteria "is not blank" in a SUMIF formula?

    That's it! Thanks much.