translate function into english, anyone?

  1. #1
    Amanda Redmond-Neal
    Guest

    translate function into english, anyone?

    hi. i just inherited a goliath workbook with four interconnected
    spreadsheets that my old boss had used to manage certain aspects of our
    company's contract accounting.
    one of the functions that he created reads
    "=+OFFSET(Detail!$F$1,D22-1,$F$11-1,1,1)". this results in a number that is
    important to my task at hand, so i need to know where it came from. knowing
    that i am not particularly excel-savvy, can someone tell me what this
    expression means? fyi, "detail" is the name of another page of the workbook
    from the one where this text is found.
    in case it matters, i did look at cell F1 of the "detail" page, but it is
    simply a date, and not a related one at that. i wish i knew what the dollar
    signs mean.

  2. #2
    bpeltzer
    Guest

    RE: translate function into english, anyone?

    In words: start at Detail!$F$1. Move down D22-1 rows. Move over $F$11-1
    columns. (You could delete the leading + and the ,1,1 at the end).

  3. #3
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: translate function into english, anyone?

    Using =+OFFSET(Detail!$F$1,D22-1,$F$11-1,1,1)
    That function initially points to cell F1 on the Detail sheet
    Then it moves up or down based on the value in Cell D22 less 1 of the sheet
    the formula is on.
    Then it moves left or right based on the value in Cell F11 less 1 of the
    sheet the formula is on and selects an area 1-cell wide by 1-cell high.

    Example:
    D22 contains 10
    F11 contains 3

    The formula initially points to Detail!$F$1
    Moves down 9 (10-1) to Detail!$F$10
    Then moves right 2 (3-1) to end up at Detail!H10

    Does that help?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP-Pro

  4. #4
    Amanda Redmond-Neal
    Guest

    RE: translate function into english, anyone?

    it does help to some degree. thanks ron and also bpeltzer, who also replied.
    but one thing that still escapes me is the meaning of the dollar signs.
    surely $F$1 is different from F1, right?

  5. #5
    bpeltzer
    Guest

    RE: translate function into english, anyone?

    F1 and $F$1 both refer to the same cell. But F1 is a relative reference and
    $F$1 is absolute. The difference shows if you start to copy the formula and
    paste it into other cells. If you paste one cell right, F1 will advance to
    G1. Once cell down and F1 becomes F2. In either case, $F$1 will remain
    $F$1. (FYI, there are also mixed references, such as $F1 and F$1; whichever
    dimension has the $ in front is fixed as the formulas are copied and pasted
    to different locations).
    --Bruce