More then 7 IF functions?

  1. #1
    Arnhem, The Netherlands

    More then 7 IF functions?

    Hi all,

    I am new here and found this forum because, as most persons here I guess, I need some help in Excel.
    I have been building a worksheet for my job information but get stuck.

    What is the problem? I'll try and explain:
    I am building an overview of ingredients of petfood. It should finally result in a sheet in which you can fill in a value and the sheet says it is ok or not.

    In one sheet I have therefore lined out a couple of sorts petfoods (junior, adult, and so on) with the values of the ingredients it would contain in an ideal situation (for instance, vitamines of the standard food with a minimum, maximum and mean value). I hope this part is clear, please ask if it's not.

    In the second sheet, the values which I find in a batch are filled in. It shows as following:
    date-batchcode-productcode-productname-and then the values I have found for the ingredients followed by a correct / incorrect
    It contains multiple functions.
    The first function is the function that allows you to only insert the productcode and excel will automatically fill in the productname. I created this function for it:

    =IF(C4="010";"product A";IF(C4="015";"product B";IF(C4="020";"product C";IF(C4="030";"product D";IF(C4="040";"product E";IF(C4="050";"product F";IF(C4="060";"product G";IF(C4="070";"product H";"INCORRECT"))))))))

    Uptill the moment of product G it works fine, but then I get product H, which is the 8th product and therefore excel can not put it in one line anymore (as excel can only include 7 IF functions) so it automatically gives an INCORRECT.

    First question is therefore: Is there a way to change this so I can include more then 7 products in the function line?

    Then, I'll continue, If this is possible: How can I recreate this to an automatic function which automatically takes the values of sheet 1 for that specific product into account?
    So when I insert a date, batchcode, a productcode (at this moment excel should automatically insert the productname) and then insert a value which I found for that batch, excel should automatically compare this to that specific value in sheet 1...

    I hope you know what I mean and furthermore I of course hope you can help me because I almost gave up on this already....

    Thanks!

    CdFMarshall
    I need a worksheet which contains in one sheet stats that can be considered normal.

    edit: mmm, I know see I maybe did not post this in the right subforum. Sorry if so...
    Last edited by CdFMarshall; 03-02-2006 at 03:15 PM.

  2. #2
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: More then 7 IF functions?

    You need the VLOOKUP() function. With Col A & B set up to hold the codes &
    prod desc, like so, starting in row 2

    010 prodcut A
    015 product B
    020 product C

    and so on, you'd use the formula

    =VLOOKUP(C4,$a$2:$b$10,2,false)

    This would return an error if the value in C4 didn't appear in column a.
    Get around that by using this variation

    =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(C4,$a$2:$b$10,2,false)),"Incorrect",
    VLOOKUP(C4,$a$2:$b$10,2,false))

  3. #3
    Bob Umlas
    Guest

    Re: More then 7 IF functions?

    Change =IF(C4="010";"product A";IF(C4="015";"product B";IF(C4="020";"product
    C";IF(C4="030";"product D";IF(C4="040";"product E";IF(C4="050";"product
    F";IF(C4="060";"product G";IF(C4="070";"product H";"INCORRECT"))))))))
    =IF(C4="010";"product A";"")&IF(C4="015";"product
    B";"")&IF(C4="020";"product
    C";"")&IF(C4="030";"product D";"")&IF(C4="040";"product
    E";"")&IF(C4="050";"product
    F";"")&IF(C4="060";"product G";"")&IF(C4="070";"product H";"")

    better yet, make a table to look up the value:
    010 product A
    015 product B
    020 product C
    etc.
    Suppose this is range F1:G10. You can use
    =IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(C4,F1:G10,2,FALSE)),"INCORRECT",VLOOKUP(C4,F1:G10,2,FALS
    E))
    and this can be as large as you need.
    HTH
    Bob Umlas

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: More then 7 IF functions?

    Try a lookup

    Create a table

    010 product A
    015 product B
    020 product C
    030 product D
    040 product E
    050 product F
    060 product G
    070 product H

    and use

    =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(C2;M1:N8;2;False));"INCORRECT",VLOOKUP(C2;M1:N8;2;False))

    Bob Phillips

    "CdFMarshall" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    PCLIVE
    Guest

    Re: More then 7 IF functions?

    The first thing I would do is create a table containing your product codes
    and numbers.

    Example: In D1 to D8, enter:

    In E1 to E8, enter:
    product A
    product
    product
    product
    product
    product
    product

    "CdFMarshall" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: More then 7 IF functions?

    You can replace your formula with a much simpler VLOOKUP, and this will
    allow you to have many more products. First of all set up a two-column
    table somewhere (assume Y1 to Z30 on the same Sheet1). In column Y you
    would enter '010, '015, '020, '030 etc down the column, and in column Z
    you would have product A, product B, product C etc adjacent to the
    codes.

    Then your formula can be replaced with this one:

    =VLOOKUP(C4,Y$1:Z$30,2,0)

    This takes the value in C4 and sees if there is an exact match in the
    first column of the table Y1:Z30 - if there is it then returns the
    value which is in the second column of the table (this is the parameter
    2 in the formula). If there is not an exact match the formula returns
    the #N/A error.

    Hope this helps.

    Pete

  7. #7
    PCLIVE
    Guest

    Re: More then 7 IF functions?

    My reply was sent inadvertently prior to being complete. I was suggesting
    the Lookup function. However, I see someone has now already suggested that.
    So you should have what you need.

    "CdFMarshall" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  8. #8
    Arnhem, The Netherlands
    You guys rule!
    I never even knew this function, wow! It did needed some translation to find out what you guys meant, but it works! Thanks!

    Ok, so part 1 of the question is solved. It now indeed gives a nice productname whenever I fill in a value.
    Now the, in my opinion even more tricky part of the question.

    I'll draw it out for you;
    I now have in sheet 2 column C the productcodes which I fill in, in column D it now autimatically gives the productname with the function you guys gave me, but now I have 5 ingredients of the product from which I take samples. Every ingredient gives a value which I add to this sheet (for instance vitamin D has a value of 50 in the test, this is added in column E).
    In another sheet (sheet 1) I have an overview of the minimum, maximum and mean value of every ingredient (suppose for vitamin D this is 20, 70 and 45). In the sheet 2 column F, it should give an outcome whether the filled in value is within the range of minimum and maximum mentioned in sheet 1.

    So it is:

    C - D - E - F
    productcode - productname - filled in value - correct/incorrect (comparison with sheet1)

    EDIT: I almost forgot the part that makes it tricky: it should automatically take the line in sheet 1 that belongs to the specific productcode/producttype. So if in column D for instance 'product B' is filled in, column F should automatically compare the value in column E with the minimum and maximum value in the line of product B in sheet 1. So not product A or D, only the values of product B.

    Thats the last part, you have any idea how this can be done?

    Thanks a lot again!!! You guys are the greatest!

    CdF Marshall
    Last edited by CdFMarshall; 03-02-2006 at 04:45 PM.

  9. #9
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: More then 7 IF functions?

    Just use VLOOKUP again

    =IF(AND(VLOOKUP(C2,Sheet1!A1:C10,2,False)>=E2,VLOOKUP(C2,Sheet1!A1:C10,3,Fal
    se)<=E2),"In range","Out of range")

    Bob Phillips

    "CdFMarshall" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  10. #10
    Arnhem, The Netherlands
    Bob,

    Thanks for your response (have been ill a couple of days so couldnt respons sooner) but I don't get it (still have to convert it to the dutch language )...

    You say, use a combination of IF, AND and VLOOKUP...:

    =IF(AND(VLOOKUP(C2,Sheet1!A1:C10,2,False)>=E2,VLOO KUP(C2,Sheet1!A1:C10,3,False)<=E2),"In range","Out of range")

    But I don't get it.
    What you say in my reading is: If the value in E2 (I suppose thats the value I fill in?) is both equal/smaller then and equal/bigger then the values in sheet 1-A1 till C10 column 2 and 3 (I suppose with this you mean bigger/equal then minimum and smaller/equal then maximum value) excel should mention "in range".
    Ok, if thats what you mean, then I get that. But how do you make excell look in the correct row that is combined with that product?

    For example, if I fill in productcode 010 in sheet 2, excel now mentions automatically the productname in the next cell. Ok, nice, but in sheet 1 all products are mentioned below eachother with all different minimum and maximum values for, for eaxample, vitamin B.
    So if column A of sheet 2 is the batchcode I fill in, column B would be the productcode (010 and so on) and column C would be the productname (which excel automatically pops up). Column D would then be the value of the ingredient (take vitamin B) which I found in the product and which I fill in. In column E would then be mentioned if this value is in range/out of range. But for this excel should look at the values specifically for that product (010 for instance) and not for all minimum and maximum values. Because the value could be ok for product C (030) but out of range of product A (010) and then it should give an out of range...

    You understand what I mean? (it is hard to explain)

    Thanks again for any response!

    Marshall

  11. #11
    Arnhem, The Netherlands
    I understand from the radio silence that no one knows? Do I really need to use acces for this? I resent Acces...

    CdFMarshall

  12. #12
    PCLIVE
    Guest

    Re: More then 7 IF functions?

    There have been several postings regarding a solution for you. Are you
    unable to see them? See below.

    "CdFMarshall" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  13. #13

    Smile Try This

    Perhaps you could try to chunk your condition to several conditions then combine each on a separate cell.