filtering unique in multiple columns

  1. #1

    filtering unique in multiple columns

    I have a range of data in multiple (10) columns with headers. Headers may read: Name Description Holder Size Length, etc. Some of the data in columns are duplicates. I want to filter only unique record pairs in columns Name and Description, extracting it to a different place in the sheet. Example of data:

    Name Description Holder Size Length
    .5 DRILL chuck 1/2 8
    .5 DRILL collet 1/2 8
    .5 REAMER collet 1/2 7
    .5 DRILL chuck 1/2 7
    etc.
    As you will see, entries in rows 1, 2 and 5 have the same Name and Description and may have different Holder, Size or Length. Row 4 has the same Name, but different Description, the rest may be anything.
    I want to filter the data, so that I will only get two rows: row 2 (or 3, or 5) and 4, which have unique (.5 DRILL) and (.5 REAMER) combinations. The trick is to pull the rest of the records in rows C, D, ... along (and I do not care which row out of multiple selection I get; for instance, I would be happy to get either of three possible data combination for a result of a unique .5 DRILL pair)
    .5 DRILL chuck 1/2 8,
    .5 DRILL collet 1/2 8,
    .5 DRILL chuck 1/2 7

    If I set List Range to include all data, it treats the entries in all rows (including C, D, ...) as unique criteria. If I set List Range to just columns A and B, it does the trick, but I would not get the rest of the entries in columns C, D, ... copied.
    Is this posiible at all to do?
    Thanks for the help.

  2. #2
    Richard Buttrey
    Guest

    Re: filtering unique in multiple columns

    On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 10:34:24 -0600, umniy
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have a range of data in multiple (10) columns with headers. Headers
    >may read: Name Description Holder Size Length, etc. Some of the data in
    >columns are duplicates. I want to filter only unique record pairs in
    >columns Name and Description, extracting it to a different place in the
    >sheet. Example of data:
    >
    >Name Description Holder Size Length
    >.5 DRILL chuck 1/2 8
    >.5 DRILL collet 1/2 8
    >.5 REAMER collet 1/2 7
    >.5 DRILL chuck 1/2 7
    >etc.
    >As you will see, entries in rows 1, 2 and 5 have the same Name and
    >Description and may have different Holder, Size or Length. Row 4 has
    >the same Name, but different Description, the rest may be anything.
    >I want to filter the data, so that I will only get two rows: row 2 (or
    >3, or 5) and 4, which have unique (.5 DRILL) and (.5 REAMER)
    >combinations. The trick is to pull the rest of the records in rows C,
    >D, ... along (and I do not care which row out of multiple selection I
    >get; for instance, I would be happy to get either of three possible
    >data combination for a result of a unique .5 DRILL pair)
    >.5 DRILL chuck 1/2 8,
    >.5 DRILL collet 1/2 8,
    >.5 DRILL chuck 1/2 7
    >
    >If I set List Range to include all data, it treats the entries in all
    >rows (including C, D, ...) as unique criteria. If I set List Range to
    >just columns A and B, it does the trick, but I would not get the rest
    >of the entries in columns C, D, ... copied.
    >Is this posiible at all to do?
    >Thanks for the help.

    I think the best solution would be an additional helper column.
    Assuming Name & Description are in cols. A & B then in the helper
    column concatenate these with =A1&B1 then copy this down your list.

    Now you can do a unique filter on this helper column.

    HTH
    Richard Buttrey
    __

  3. #3

    multiple columns data

    Thanks for the help,
    I concatenated data in columns A and B. When I filter data only in that column, it works fine. But I need to copy all the rest of data in other columns with it. No matter what I do, it does not filter, trying to recognize unique records in all columns, not just in that helper column.
    I am starting to beleive that my task is impossible to do.

  4. #4
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: filtering unique in multiple columns

    Once you have added the helper column to join A1 and B1, you can then
    sort all the data using this field - I assume this is field 11, or
    column K. You can then add another helper column L and enter this
    formula in L2:

    =IF(K2=K1,"Duplicate","Unique")

    Copy this formula down and then apply autofilter to this column and
    select Unique. You can then highlight all the visible rows for the
    first 10 columns, click <copy> then move somewhere else (another
    sheet?) and paste your data - only the visible data will be pasted, and
    of course you will have data in all your columns as you requested.

    Hope this helps.

    Pete

  5. #5
    England

    Thanks Pete, Helped me too.

    I too had been struggling with Filter/Advanced/Unique and could not understand why it wouldn't work. I eventually gave up, searched here and used your technique. Worked for me.
    Thank you very much.
    Kind regards
    David