Standard Deviation

  1. #1
    Stan Banner
    Guest

    Standard Deviation

    Hi:
    I have tried to use STDEV() to find the Standard Deviation of a large range
    of cells that contains many blanks, assuming that the blanks would be
    ignored, however, I have found that the blanks were given the value of 0. I
    tested this by trying to find the Standard Deviation of a range of blank
    cells and every cell was given the value of 0. I must be doing something
    wrong but I don't know what it is.
    I hope that someone can help me out here.
    Thanks

    Stan

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Standard Deviation

    STDEV ignores blank cells, logical values or text so maybe some of your
    numbers are text if you don't get what you expect,also how did you test a
    blank range, STDEV needs 2 numbers or else it will return a #DIV/0! error?
    Are you using some custom format that doesn't display zeros or have you
    linked to blank cells (that will always return zero)

    Peo Sjoblom

    Northwest Excel Solutions

    www.nwexcelsolutions.com

    (remove ^^ from email address)