Formula Assistance with "="

  1. #1

    Formula Assistance with "="

    I am trying to debug a spreadhseet and have come across this formula in the middle of a sumif calc:

    "="&$C13

    I am struggling with the "=" and the &. Can someone provide some guidance?

  2. #2
    Forum Expert daddylonglegs's Avatar
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    14,675
    If the formula is something like

    =SUMIF(A:A,"="&$C13,B:B)

    then that just means that B will be summed when the corresponding entry in A is equal to C13

    you could equally use

    =SUMIF(A:A,$C13,B:B)

  3. #3

    Re: Formula Assistance with "="

    Like:

    =sumif(a1:a10,"="&$c13,b1:b10)

    I think that the originator wanted to be explicit with what he/she was doing.

    This would have been sufficient:
    =sumif(a1:a10,$c13,b1:b10)

    But by including the "=" in that criteria, it would be easy to see how to change
    it to not equal or greater than or less than:

    =sumif(a1:a10,"<>"&$c13,b1:b10)
    =sumif(a1:a10,">"&$c13,b1:b10)
    =sumif(a1:a10,"<"&$c13,b1:b10)

    =====
    But the original formula is still just checking each cell in the first range and
    comparing it to the value in the criteria ($c13) and summing that 2nd range.