Data Validation question

  1. #1
    anny
    Guest

    Data Validation question

    hi gurus

    I have defined a Name for a function, WS_Name, that returns the name of the
    active worksheet (eg A6-X, A4-R, B7-Q ...etc).

    On each worksheet, I want to add validation to column C. The value in colum
    C must be =MID(WS_Name,2,1). In the 3 sheets mentioned above, column C
    should accept ONLY values of 6, 4 and 7 respectively.

    I can't get the validation to work. I'm trying ...

    Data>Validation>Settings> Allow: Custom, Formula: =MID(WS_Name,2,1)
    or

    Data>Validation>Settings> Allow: Custom, Formula:
    =VALUE(MID(WS_Name,2,1))

    No luck so far. Column C still takes any value. Any ideas?

    TQ, Anny

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Data Validation question

    Hi!

    Well, I'm assuming that your named formula works properly.

    You have to refer to the cell that is being validated:

    =C1=MID(WS_Name,2,1)

    Now, the MID function returns TEXT, so if:

    =MID(WS_Name,2,1)

    Returned 6, that 6 is TEXT and if the user entered a numeric 6 in cell C1 =
    rejected!

    So, try this:

    =C1=--MID(WS_Name,2,1)

    Or, format the target cell as TEXT (don't know if you really want to do
    that, though!)

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    anny
    Guest

    Re: Data Validation question

    Hello

    Biff - I couldn't get this to work.

    > You have to refer to the cell that is being validated:
    > =C1=MID(WS_Name,2,1)

    Also, I'm not sure that the cell needs to be refered to as you've indicated.
    When I simply use =1 as the validation criteria in column C, it works
    fine. Also, the named function works properly. When I write
    =VALUE(MID(WS_Name,2,1) in any cell, I get the desired number. I just
    can't get this expression to work as a validation criteria.

    Any ideas out there?
    Anny

    news:uo%[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Data Validation question

    Post the actual formula for WS_Name so I can do some testing.

  5. #5
    anny
    Guest

    Re: Data Validation question

    Hi Biff

    Here's the named formula WS_Name you requested

    =MID(CELL("filename",INDIRECT("A1")),FIND("]",CELL("filename",INDIRECT("A1")))+1,32)

    It properly identifies the name of the worksheet when placed in a cell.

    Thanks for your efforts

  6. #6
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Data Validation question

    OK...........

    I don't know why:

    =C1=--MID(WS_name,2,1)

    won't work. It works just fine when I test it in cells on the worksheet
    itself but when applied as the formula in data validation it doesn't work. I
    suspect it has something to do with the named formula.

    This WILL work:

    =C1=--MID(MID(CELL("filename",INDIRECT("A1")),FIND("]",CELL("filename",INDIRECT("A1")))+1,32),2,1)

    Or, put this formula in some out of the way cell like AA1:

    =--MID(WS_name,2,1)

    and then refer to that cell:

    =C1=AA1

    Side note:

    =VALUE(MID(WS_Name,2,1))
    =--MID(WS_Name,2,1)

    do the exact same thing.

  7. #7
    anny
    Guest

    Re: Data Validation question

    Biff RULES!

    anny

  8. #8
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Data Validation question

    It's because if you use for instance indirect or offset that refers to
    another cell (in this case I believe it is A1) you need to uncheck ignore
    blanks in the validation window, I think =C1=--MID(WS_Name,2,1)
    will work as validation if you do that.

    Peo Sjoblom

    Northwest Excel Solutions

    www.nwexcelsolutions.com

    (remove ^^ from email address)

    Portland, Oregon

    news:%[email protected]...

  9. #9
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Data Validation question

    Hi Peo!

    Hmmm.....

    Yes, unchecking Ignore blanks did allow the shorter formula to work.
    However, the long formula:

    =C1=--MID(MID(CELL("filename",INDIRECT("A1")),FIND("]",CELL("filename",INDIRECT("A1")))+1,32),2,1)

    Still contains Indirect calls and does work with Ignore blanks checked.

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...