"find and replace" negative numbers

  1. #1
    pk
    Guest

    "find and replace" negative numbers

    i have one columns of numbers which displays negative numbers in this format,
    300-, this is after import from legacy conversion program. In Excel, how can
    i convert this negative format from 999- to -999.

    Tks !

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor

    negative numbers!

    hi!

    select the range

    goto
    Data > Text to Col > Next > Next > Advanced >
    check "Trailing minus for negative numbers" > ok

    -via135

    Quote Originally Posted by pk

  3. #3
    George
    Guest

    Re: "find and replace" negative numbers

    I'm not sure how you are importing this because excel has automatic
    detection of trailing minus signs and converts them to normal numbers

    If the numbers are in one column try highlighting it then use
    Text To Columns
    Step through the wizard (Click NEXT twice)
    Notice the 'Advanced' button - click on that and make sure that the
    'Trailing minus for negative numbers' is ticked on
    Then click OK and Finish

    Hope it helps
    George

  4. #4
    pk
    Guest

    Re: "find and replace" negative numbers

    Hi George, via135;

    Tks for the respond. However, i dun see 'Trailing minus for negative
    numbers' in the 'Advanced' button' in either Office 2000 or Office 2003

  5. #5
    George
    Guest

    Re: "find and replace" negative numbers

    I'm using office XP (2002) and its a check box under the advanced button
    Very unusual for it not to be in 2000 and 2003 and to be in 2002(XP)
    Can anyone else confirm any of this.

    When you click on the advanced button;
    There should be 2 combo boxes with the ability to choose the decimal
    separator and the thousands separator. You should also see a check box
    and 3 buttons (RESET, OK, CANCEL)

    What do you get when you click the advanced button?

    George

  6. #6
    Kevin Vaughn
    Guest

    Re: "find and replace" negative numbers

    I am using 2000 and I looked for that option, but did not see it. Never
    looked for it before (I did see the advanced button, but not the trailing
    negative sign option. Only decimal and thousand seperators IIRC.)

    However, I tried this formula, and it seemed to work on my test data:

    =IF(RIGHT(A3,1)="-",VALUE(LEFT(A3, LEN(A3) - 1)) * -1, A3)

    --
    Kevin Vaughn