Personal Revolving Loans

  1. #1

    Personal Revolving Loans

    Hi,

    I am a cabinet maker who needs to borrow 30,000 from a friend because I
    tweaked my back for a few weeks and now have to catch up for the next
    few months. I want to be able to make a worksheet that allows me to
    give him a known interest rate and then apply the rest to the
    principal. I would love it if I could do it on any day of the month
    and not have it tied to a monthly period. It is essentially exactly
    what credit cards do. Ideally, it would show in columns what was paid,
    what day it was paid, how much went to interest for that month, how
    much went to principal, and how much principal remains. Incidentally,
    this would be great for just capital borrowing in general. The lender
    gets a fixed return, but I can write checks willy nilly. As an added
    tweak (just like the credit cards) if I don't make the interest in a
    month, I would love for the unmet interest to roll to the next month.

    Any ideas?

    Wouldn't it be cool if the lender could access this info on my webpage
    via a password!

    [email protected]

    PS If anyone could set this up I would be willing to pay something via
    check or paypal.

  2. #2
    kassie
    Guest

    RE: Personal Revolving Loans

    Hi

    Col A1 = Date
    Col B1 = Withdrawals
    Col C1 = Interest earned
    Col D1 = Repayments
    Col E1 = Balance owing
    E2 = Initial loan amt (30K)
    C3 = =IF(E2="","",E2*(ROUND(<rate>/12,2)))
    E3 = =IF(OR(C3="",D3=""),"",E2+B3+C3-D3)
    Copy formulae in C and E down

  3. #3

    Re: Personal Revolving Loans

    Awesome,

    Thank you so much! I learned a few new functions from your formula. I
    wonder how we get it to only charge interest on the outstanding
    principle, since this always charges $300 interest, even when your
    total due is down to 1000. Hmm...

    Patrick

  5. #5

    Re: Personal Revolving Loans

    Oops,

    I forgot to see that the E2 reference is relative...

    I still wonder how one could have the interest only on the principle,
    as I think this compounds the interest. Hmmm...

    Lots of hmmmms

    Patrick

  6. #6
    kassie
    Guest

    Re: Personal Revolving Loans

    Additional columns, my friend. You will have to create a column for
    withdrawals, one for repayments, one for interest, one for principle debt
    balance, and then one for total balance. Do your interest calcs on the
    principle debt column, and the total balance one can use the formula I
    previously posted. To determine the principle debt, add all withdrawals,
    subtract all repayments and leave out the interest column in your calcs.