use "button" to make calculation ignore a cell

  1. #1
    Guest

    use "button" to make calculation ignore a cell

    How can I create a macro "button" over a series of columns that will cause a
    formula in another part of the sheet to ignore the value that the column
    calculates to?
    i.e.

    X X X
    20 60 9
    40 50 21
    _______________
    60 110 30 =200

    I would like to click on the button (represented by the X) or perhaps more
    than one button, have the button change appearance and then that column
    total wouldn't be used to calculate the answer (200)

    Does that make since?

  2. #2
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: use "button" to make calculation ignore a cell

    Use View | Toolbars to display Forms tool
    Make a check box on the worksheet; link it to a cell
    The check box gives a values of TRUE (1) or FALSE (0) to a cell
    I linked three check boxes to A3, B3, and C3
    I had three numbers in the rows below each
    I used formula =SUM(A4:A6)*A3+SUM(B4:B6)*B3+SUM(C4:C6)*C3
    You can format and move the checkbox to hid the linked cell

    best wishes
    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Guest

    Re: use "button" to make calculation ignore a cell

    Thanks for the quick reply
    How do I link it? I can assign macros of course but not "Link"
    I'm using XL2003

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: use "button" to make calculation ignore a cell

    Right click CheckBox
    Use Format Control from menu
    Open Control tab and locate Cell Link box
    I find it best to click on the cell with the dialog open rather than type
    cell reference
    best wishes
    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
    remove caps from email

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Thanks for the quick reply
    > How do I link it? I can assign macros of course but not "Link"
    > I'm using XL2003
    >
    > "Bernard Liengme" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> Use View | Toolbars to display Forms tool
    >> Make a check box on the worksheet; link it to a cell
    >> The check box gives a values of TRUE (1) or FALSE (0) to a cell
    >> I linked three check boxes to A3, B3, and C3
    >> I had three numbers in the rows below each
    >> I used formula =SUM(A4:A6)*A3+SUM(B4:B6)*B3+SUM(C4:C6)*C3
    >> You can format and move the checkbox to hid the linked cell
    >>
    >> best wishes
    >> --
    >> Bernard V Liengme
    >> www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
    >> remove caps from email
    >>
    >> <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]...
    >>> How can I create a macro "button" over a series of columns that will
    >>> cause a formula in another part of the sheet to ignore the value that
    >>> the column calculates to?
    >>> i.e.
    >>>
    >>> X X X
    >>> 20 60 9
    >>> 40 50 21
    >>> _______________

  5. #5
    Guest

    Re: use "button" to make calculation ignore a cell

    OK got that,
    in your formula:
    =SUM(A4:A6)*A3+SUM(B4:B6)*B3+SUM(C4:C6)*C3
    does the "*A3" tell the formula to evaluate if the link in A3 is true? Is
    that how it works?

  6. #6
    Guest

    Re: use "button" to make calculation ignore a cell

    Ahh I see, it multiplies by 1 or zero depending on state. Genius! Thanks a
    bunch!