How do I find the length of time (Years & Months) between 2 dates

  1. #1
    David Picken
    Guest

    How do I find the length of time (Years & Months) between 2 dates

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: How do I find the length of time (Years & Months) between 2 dates

    One way:

    A1: <start date>
    A2: <end date>
    A3: =DATEDIF(A1,A2,"y") & " years, " & DATEDIF(A1,A2,"ym") & "
    months"

    See

    http://cpearson.com/excel/datedif.htm

    for more documentation on DATEDIF().

    In article <[email protected]>,

  3. #3
    Ardus Petus
    Guest

    Re: How do I find the length of time (Years & Months) between 2 dates

    =DATEDIF(date1, date2,"y") for years
    =DATEDIF(date1, date2, "ym") for extra months

    AP

    "David Picken" <David [email protected]> a écrit dans le
    message de news:[email protected]...

  8. #8
    Brandon
    Guest

    Re: How do I find the length of time (Years & Months) between 2 da

    I have a spreadsheet with a date inducted and a date it needs to be replaced.
    How do I get a cell with the remaining days between the dates and it update
    daily?

  9. #9
    Ardus Petus
    Guest

    Re: How do I find the length of time (Years & Months) between 2 da

    =DATEDIF(date1, date2,"d") for days between date1 & date2

    AP

    news:[email protected]...

  10. #10
    Forum Expert daddylonglegs's Avatar
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    14,675
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon

    "Ardus Petus" wrote:

    > =DATEDIF(date1, date2,"y") for years
    > =DATEDIF(date1, date2, "ym") for extra months
    >
    > HTH
    > --
    > AP
    >

    > "David Picken" <David [email protected]> a écrit dans le
    > message de news:[email protected]...

    In general to get the difference in days between two dates you only need

    =B1-A1 where B1 is the later date

    format as general

    In your case it looks like you need the difference in days between today and your replacement date - if replacement date in in C1

    =C1-today()

    format as general

  11. #11
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: How do I find the length of time (Years & Months) between 2 da

    One way:

    A1: <date inducted>
    A2: <date to be replaced>
    A3: =A2-A1

    format A3 as General or Number.

    No idea how to update it daily unless you specify how either of the
    dates change.

  12. #12
    Beege
    Guest

    Re: How do I find the length of time (Years & Months) between 2 dates

    David,

    Or you could use =TEXT(A2-A1,"Y, M")

    Beege

    "David Picken" <David [email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

  13. #13
    Brandon
    Guest

    Re: How do I find the length of time (Years & Months) between 2 da

    That worked but I worded the problem wrong.
    I have a part inducted on 1-1-06 that has a life span of 1825 days. How can
    I create a formula that will give me the days remaining in a column and have
    that number updated daily? I'm using Excel 2003.

  14. #14
    Forum Expert daddylonglegs's Avatar
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    14,675
    =1825+DATE(2006,1,1)-TODAY()

    format as general

  15. #15
    Brandon
    Guest

    Re: How do I find the length of time (Years & Months) between 2 da

    1745

  16. #16
    Brandon
    Guest

    Re: How do I find the length of time (Years & Months) between 2 da

    It returned 1745

  17. #17
    Forum Expert daddylonglegs's Avatar
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    14,675
    Is that not correct? You wanted the days remaining. If it shows 1745 today it will show 1744 tomorrow and so on until it reaches zero on 31st December 2010.

  18. #18
    Brandon
    Guest

    Re: How do I find the length of time (Years & Months) between 2 da

    Well of course had I closed the application and reopened it and used my
    brain. Thank you so much for all the help. It seems to work like a charm.
    I will try it on the main sheet and see what happens. This has been very
    helpful.

  19. #19
    Brandon
    Guest

    Re: How do I find the length of time (Years & Months) between 2 da

    Does the 360 days a year affect the calculations? I saw where Excel uses 360
    days in the year instead of 365.

  20. #20
    Forum Expert daddylonglegs's Avatar
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    14,675
    Using the formula I posted the calculation will be correct. There is a DAYS360 function in Excel which uses a 360 day year for accounting purposes but, other than that Excel will calculate using 365 day or 366 day years as appropriate