pivot table problems

  1. #1
    CatherineC
    Guest

    pivot table problems

    I am updating a pivot table with data from a worksheet. All the fields
    update correctly except the "spend" field which contains numbers - the field
    I am updating displays "0.00" even though there are numbers in the original
    worksheet where I collected the data from. The data collected appears in the
    wrong field so the overall total is correct but it is appearing in the wrong
    field - does this make sense to anyone? Can anyone help?

  2. #2
    Barb Reinhardt
    Guest

    RE: pivot table problems

    Can you display several rows of your original data file? Sanitize it if
    necessary.

  3. #3
    CatherineC
    Guest

    RE: pivot table problems

    Hi Barb,

    Thanks so much for your response. I have since realised that my problem is
    that the numbers in the original source are not recognised by my current
    worksheet - and when I try format the cells as either numbers or custom
    format it doesnt accept that so I've had to manually change the numbers which
    is a lengthy process....so now I've figured out why it won't update the pivot
    table, now I need to know how I change the cells to a number automatically
    without having to manually change them....

  4. #4
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: pivot table problems

    Hi Catherine

    To convert the text numbers to numeric, you could try entering a 1 into
    a blank cell which is formatted General.
    Copy that cell.
    Mark the range of your data with the text numeric's and Paste
    Special>Multiply.
    That sometimes works.

    Or, assuming your data is in column A, in another column could enter
    =--A1 and copy down.
    If this works, then copy the block of new cells and Paste Special>Values
    over the top of your original data. You can then delete the extra column
    you created.

    If neither of those methods work for you, it could be that the data
    contains the non-breaking space Char(160). This often happens if the
    data has been copied from the web. In which case, David McRitchie has a
    routine called TRIMALL at his website which may help you.

    Regards

    Roger Govier

    news:[email protected]...