changing query source

  1. #1

    changing query source

    I have an excel workbook where I've queried a table in access. When I
    first setup the query, I did it through the get external data query
    wizard, browsed, found my access database (called database_010306.mdb)
    and selected my table. All was fine.

    Now, I am renaming my temporary named database (database_010306.mdb) to
    just database.mdb. So I've got to tell Excel the new filename.

    I thought I had it when I went to "edit query" in Excel, then went to
    "Microsoft Query", looked at the SQL code and changed the FROM
    statement to point to my new filename. When I closed Microsoft Query,
    it successfully updated the query with the correct data from the newly
    renamed database.mdb.

    but when I use the "refresh query" buttons on the external data
    toolbar, it tells me it can't find database_010306.mdb - ODBC access
    login error or something. yet, when I again look at the query in
    microsoft query, it has the correct (new) filename in the FROM
    statement, and again when I close Microsoft query, it refreshes as it
    should have when I click on "refresh data".

    Where else is this old filename stored, and can I simply edit it
    without having to make a new query with the query wizard and point to
    the new mdb file?

    I hesitate to make all new queries since I have many sheets with many
    queries and would like to see if there is a place I can just go and
    change the filename, as updating in microsoft query did not seem to do
    it.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: changing query source

    Try this:

    Copy your database into the old location and rename the copy to it's
    previous name.
    When you refresh the query through Excel, it will find the database and
    display the query. Now, you should be able to edit the SQL

    When done....destroy the db file you no longer need.

    Does that help?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP-Pro

  3. #3

    Re: changing query source

    Hi Ron - I had tried that previously, and editing the SQL was no
    problem. (In fact I could open the spreadsheet with no file at the
    original location, it would just tell me it couldn't find it, then I'd
    "cancel" instead of trying to locate it [locating it didnt solve
    anythign either].)

    The problem is Excel is somehow, somewhere, storing the old filename.
    When I go into the SQL, I can edit the FROM statement, and when I save
    the workbook and open again, the SQL is fine (points to the new
    filename) but Excel still looks for the old filename.

    In the meantime I just deleted all the queries and made new ones, and
    it works. However there must be someplace Excel is storing the old
    filename. Forwhatever reason, M$ has not allowed a user to get to it
    easily.

    Thanks for the reply.Dave