N/A mine is returning with 1

  1. #1
    Darts via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    N/A mine is returning with 1

    I have some formulas set up in a spreadsheet that other people will fill
    progressively. In cells where the formula has no feeder' data to provide a
    result it displays 1".

    Cell A1= 1(month from B1) correct
    Cell B1= 1/2/06

    Here is the formula i am using in Cell A1

    =Month(B1)

    when i copied my formula down it does pick up the right month(1,2,3 etc)
    however when i copied it down to where there were no dates the result for all
    of them were 1. I do not want anything in that cell.

    i hope i explained this right.

    thanks

  2. #2
    Trevor Shuttleworth
    Guest

    Re: N/A mine is returning with 1

    Try:

    =IF(B1="","",Month(B1))

    Regards

    Trevor

  3. #3
    Darts via OfficeKB.com

    Trevor Shuttleworth wrote:
    >Try:
    >
    >=IF(B1="","",Month(B1))
    >
    >Regards
    >
    >Trevor
    >
    >> I have some formulas set up in a spreadsheet that other people will fill
    >> progressively. In cells where the formula has no feeder' data to provide a

    >[quoted text clipped - 15 lines]
    >>
    >> thanks

    Trevor thanks - not sure if i am doing something wron when I use that formula
    it does come back with nothing there however in that cell since I have a date
    in b2 the result in a1 should be 1. If there was no date in b2 then the
    result should be "blank" any other suggestions

    thanks

  4. #4
    Trevor Shuttleworth

    You said:

    Cell A1 = 1(month from B1) correct
    Cell B1 = 1/2/06

    Hence, the formula for cell A1 to cope with cell B1 being blank is:

    =IF(B1="","",Month(B1))

    If Cell A2 relates to cell B2, as I assume it does, then the formula for A2
    would be:

    =IF(B2="","",Month(B2))

    And so on. You can AutoFill the formula down the column or just copy and
    paste and the formula will adjust.

    So:
    A3 =IF(B3="","",Month(B3))
    A4 =IF(B4="","",Month(B4))
    A5 =IF(B5="","",Month(B5))

    Maybe I have misunderstood what you are trying to achieve

  5. #5
    Darts via OfficeKB.com

    Trevor Shuttleworth wrote:
    >You said:
    >
    >Cell A1 = 1(month from B1) correct
    >Cell B1 = 1/2/06
    >
    >Hence, the formula for cell A1 to cope with cell B1 being blank is:
    >
    >=IF(B1="","",Month(B1))
    >
    >If Cell A2 relates to cell B2, as I assume it does, then the formula for A2
    >would be:
    >
    >=IF(B2="","",Month(B2))
    >
    >And so on. You can AutoFill the formula down the column or just copy and
    >paste and the formula will adjust.
    >
    >So:
    >A3 =IF(B3="","",Month(B3))
    >A4 =IF(B4="","",Month(B4))
    >A5 =IF(B5="","",Month(B5))
    >
    >Maybe I have misunderstood what you are trying to achieve
    >
    >Regards
    >
    >Trevor
    >
    >>>Try:
    >>>

    >[quoted text clipped - 19 lines]