Counting the occurences

  1. #1

    Counting the occurences

    I am working on a large spreadsheet file, I have 23 columns where the cells within may be either A,B,C,D,E, or blank. I need a way to count this and put it into a pie chart or bar graph. I can't figure it out, help please?

  2. #2
    pdberger
    Guest

    RE: Counting the occurences

    Riomarde --
    I would:

    1) Define a named range for the table. For our purposes here, I call it
    "test".
    2) Count the letters like this:
    A B
    1 a =countif(test,a1)
    2 b =countif(test,a2)

    etc. Then, you can use the data for a pie chart.

    Another approach -- if you have activated the 'data analysis tookpak', you
    can use it to make a histogram in roughly the same way.

    HTH.