Matching Combinations

  1. #1
    Rothman
    Guest

    Matching Combinations

    I have data like so:

    Num1 Num2 Num3 Num4 Num5
    3 4 10 7 2
    6 7 3 8 3
    1 7 5 10 2
    3 8 1 10 8
    ....and so forth. Essentially random whole numbers in five columns.

    What I'd like to do is to find out if Numx = y, then list the combination.
    So, if I was looking for the number 3 in Num1, it'd return a list like (using
    the table above):

    Num1 Num2 Num3 Num4 Num5
    3 4 10 7 2
    3 8 1 10 8

    I'd have to do this for each column (i.e. if Num2 = some number, then give
    me the combinations for that; if Num3 = etc.). For those other columns, I'd
    like to keep the horizontal order of the variables intact (e.g. Num2 = 7):

    Num1 Num2 Num3 Num4 Num5
    6 7 3 8 3
    1 7 5 10 2

    Any ideas?

    Thanks again in advance.

  2. #2
    pdberger
    Guest

    RE: Matching Combinations

    Rothman --

    I think you should be able to use Data>Filter.
    1) Select a cell inside the table.
    2) Click Data>Filter>AutoFilter.
    3) At the top of each column, you'll see a little down-arrow. Click the
    arrow you want, and pick the 'numx' you want to filter for.

    Should do the trick. I think you can designate the output to a different
    range of cells, but I forget how right now.

    HTH