Finding Cells

  1. #1
    C. Brown
    Guest

    Finding Cells

    I have a column which lists various dollar amounts (thousands of cells). I
    want to search that column and locate cells which total a specific dollar
    amount. For example, a customer has fifty accounts with us and I know he paid
    $100.00 that were divided randomly over five of his accounts. I need to know
    which five accounts that $100.00 could have been spread across, so I need to
    find a way to search the column to find which cells total that $100.00. I
    have been unsuccessful in finding something suitable in the Help file. Thank
    you.
    --
    C. Brown

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Finding Cells

    Apply data>filter>autofilter and filter on the amount and the customer

    Peo Sjoblom

    Northwest Excel Solutions

    www.nwexcelsolutions.com

    (remove ^^ from email address)

    Portland, Oregon

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    C. Brown
    Guest

    Re: Finding Cells

    Well, yes. The problem is, I don't think the payment was applied to the
    correct person's accounts, so searching by name has not been successful.
    Also, the amount is spread over several cells. I want the formula to be able
    to search the column and return the actual cells which total that specific
    amount; the amount would not be located in one cell. I want it to find the
    first group of cells which total a specific amount, then if that's not it,
    move on to the next group of cells which total that specific amount. Thank
    you for your assistance.
    --
    C. Brown

  4. #4
    Guest

    Re: Finding Cells

    Hi

    Have a look at this reply:
    http://groups.google.com/group/micro...eeace873b464ae

    It did the trick for me and is very smart!!

    Hope this helps.
    Andy.