Concantenate Help

  1. #1
    Terri
    Guest

    Concantenate Help

    I am trying to take several columns of data and condense each row into a one
    sheet of information to put in a binder. I have tried the following formula,
    based on Microsoft Office Assistance for combining two or more columns by
    using a function. It didn't work.

    Here is the formula I tried:

    =CONCANTENATE(A1, " ", C1, " ", G1, " ", I1, " ", J1, " ", CHAR(10), L1, "
    ", CHAR(10), M1, " ", N1, " ", 01, CHAR(10), P1, CHAR(10), Q1, " ", R1,
    CHAR(10), U1, CHAR(10), W1, CHAR(10), X1, CHAR(10), Y1)

    This is my first time trying this, and I see by the posts that a lot of you
    have fantastic experience, so please tell me what I am doing wrong.

    Thanks,

    Terri

  2. #2
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: Concantenate Help

    What do you mean "it doesn't work". You've asked several questions about
    this formula. Perhaps if you gave us some sample data and an idea of what
    you need to accomplish, we could solve this once and for all!

  3. #3
    Terri
    Guest

    RE: Concantenate Help

    I am trying to take information from an existing worksheet and create a one
    sheet for each row of the worksheet using some of the columns. I am trying
    to combine columns, and when I paste the data to another worksheet, it comes
    up as #REF!. I widened the column, but the data did not appear. Does that
    help? And, yes I have asked several questions and didn't get any answers, so
    that is why I am asking again.

  4. #4
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: Concantenate Help

    1) you've gotten lots of answers. Here's my explanation to you from 2 days ago

    http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...4-d43d19d1a4d0

    When you paste to another sheet, are you pasting the formula, or do you want
    just the result? If the result, then when pasting use Edit>Paste
    Special>Values

    2) The explanation you've included below is WAAAY to vague to allow us to
    really help you

    3) Try concatenating just a couple of cells at a time. If that works, add
    another cell or two to the formula. Continue until you get the error. that
    will provide valuable insight that you can provide to us.

  5. #5
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: Concantenate Help

    Terri wrote...
    >I am trying to take several columns of data and condense each row into a one
    >sheet of information to put in a binder. I have tried the following formula,
    >based on Microsoft Office Assistance for combining two or more columns by
    >using a function. It didn't work.
    >
    >Here is the formula I tried:
    >
    >=CONCANTENATE(A1, " ", C1, " ", G1, " ", I1, " ", J1, " ", CHAR(10), L1,
    >" ", CHAR(10), M1, " ", N1, " ", 01, CHAR(10), P1, CHAR(10), Q1, " ", R1,
    >CHAR(10), U1, CHAR(10), W1, CHAR(10), X1, CHAR(10), Y1)

    Several errors, not least saying how it didn't work.

    1. There's no function named CONCANTENATE. You want CONCATENATE.

    2. You show 01 as one of the arguments. That's two numerals, a zero and
    a one. I suspect you meant O1 - a capital letter o (the letter between
    N and P) followed by the numeral one.

    3. The critical problem is that you try to use more than 30 function
    arguments. Excel is archaic in some places, and this is one of them.

    You could use multiple nested CONCATENATE calls, e.g.,

    =CONCATENATE(CONCATENATE(A1, " ", C1, " ", G1, " ", I1, " ", J1,
    CHAR(10)),
    CONCATENATE(L1, " ", CHAR(10), M1, " ", N1, " ", 01, CHAR(10), P1,
    CHAR(10)),
    CONCATENATE(Q1, " ", R1, CHAR(10), U1, CHAR(10), W1, CHAR(10)),
    CONCATENATE(X1, CHAR(10), Y1))

    but there's NEVER a good reason to use CONCATENATE rather than using
    the concatenation operator, &. Change your formula to

    =A1& " " & C1 & " " & G1 & " " & I1 & " " & J1 & CHAR(10) & L1 & " " &
    CHAR(10)
    & M1 & " " & N1 & " " & O1 & CHAR(10) & P1 & CHAR(10) & Q1 & " " & R1
    & CHAR(10) & U1 & CHAR(10) & W1 & CHAR(10) & X1 & CHAR(10) & Y1