running balance in Excel

  1. #1
    Dan Connors
    Guest

    running balance in Excel

    Hello,
    My running balance is set up fine. I have it in a List. What I would like
    is to have is one cell at the top of my sheet that always has my "Final
    Balance". This number could change of course, depending on the data entered.
    Maybe I'm going about this the wrong way...

    Basically what I'm trying to do...
    I have about 100 customers that purchase coupons. Their coupons go up or
    down depending on if they use them or buy more. I have each customer on their
    own sheet, and they each have their own running balance. I then wanted one
    sheet that I can go to and get every customers current balance. This is why
    I'm trying to grab the last cell in my list...because that is their current
    balance. I want to take that balance and put it in cell so it could be more
    easily summarized. I'm guessing that Access would be a better bet for me, but
    I was having big problems with the running totals. Any ideas or suggestions
    would be greatly appreciated!!!

  2. #2
    Are all the customers in the same workbook or are they all separate files?

    You can run a total at the top of each sheet. Then create a total sheet with each customer on it. In the box next to there name feed the total form the individual sheet. That part is simple it's just = and then click the total box on that individual sheet.

    I hope that is what you are looking for. If not I'll try again.

    Kelli

  4. #4

    Smile

  5. #5
    pdberger
    Guest

    RE: running balance in Excel

    Dan --

    Here's an approach to find the last cell in a list. It only works, though,
    if you decide in advance the maximum number of entries you'll ever have (like
    7, 12, 31, 100, or some arbitrarily large #). Let's assume that you'll never
    have more than 31 entries, located in column B. Here's the formula:

    =offset(B1,count(B1:B31)-1,0)

    Tried it. Should do the trick.

    HTH

  6. #6
    Mark Lincoln
    Guest

    Re: running balance in Excel

    A running balance is simply the sum of the entries. If your entries
    are in, say, A2 through A100 you can put

    =SUM(A2:A100)

    in a cell at the top of your sheet to get your current balance for that
    sheet.

    Then put the sum for each customer on your consolidation sheet.