Stumped: If a cell contains a formula, can you make text color automatically change?

  1. #1

    Stumped: If a cell contains a formula, can you make text color automatically change?

    Hello all-

    I tried searching and couldn't find this.

    I was wondering if there's a way to change the text color in a cell that contains a formula.

    My goal is to build a financial model with cells that have blue text for cells with formulas, and regular black text for hard coded numbers. This will allow the users to easily identify which numbers can be adjusted, and which are coming from a formula.

    If there is an easier, or better way to do this I'm all ears (or eyes for the forums)

  2. #2
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: Stumped: If a cell contains a formula, can you make text color automatically change?

    You can use conditional formatting for this. You might also consider
    unlocking the cells which have "adjustable" numbers in and then
    protecting the worksheet, so that your formulae do not accidentally get
    over-written. I usually use a bright yellow background as well to
    indicate to users where they can enter or change data (i.e. the
    unlocked cells), and so the normal white background indicates that they
    cannot change anything in that area.

    Hope this helps.

    Pete

  3. #3
    Max

    "qwopzxnm" wrote:
    > I was wondering if there's a way to change the text color in a cell
    > that contains a formula.
    > My goal is to build a financial model with cells that have blue text
    > for cells with formulas, and regular black text for hard coded numbers.
    > This will allow the users to easily identify which numbers can be
    > adjusted, and which are coming from a formula.

    Press F5 > Special > Check "Formulas" > OK
    will select all formula cells on the sheet at one go
    Then we could apply Format > Cells > Font tab (to taste)

    Similarly, we could also select the constants:
    Press F5 > Special > Check "Constants" > OK
    then format ...

    --
    Max
    Singapore

  4. #4
    Max and Pete thank you both for your replies.

    Max - Your method works great however if I continue to add formulas to the worksheet I would need to keep repeating this each time. Is ther a way to automate this so that if I add a formula to a cell it will automatically format the text?

    Pete - To use conditional formatting, what formula works best to test if a cell is a formula or not?

  5. #5

    Re: Stumped: If a cell contains a formula, can you make text colorautomatically change?

    You can create a userdefined function that returns true or false if the cell
    contains a formula:

    Option Explicit
    Function HasFormula(rng As Range) As Boolean
    Set rng = rng.Cells(1)
    HasFormula = rng.HasFormula
    End Function

    Then you can include that test in your formula:

    =hasformula(a1)

  6. #6
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Stumped: If a cell contains a formula, can you make text color automatically change?

    Try this UDF in your CF.

    Function IsFormula(cell)
    Application.Volatile
    IsFormula = cell.HasFormula
    End Function

    Copy/paste to a general module then select all cell on your worksheet and

    In CF Formula is: =IsFormula(A1)

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  7. #7
    Max

    "qwopzxnm" wrote:
    > .. Max - Your method works great however if I continue to
    > add formulas to the worksheet I would need to
    > keep repeating this each time. Is there a way to
    > automate this so that if I add a formula to a cell it will
    > automatically format the text?

    Another option to tinker with ..

    We could assign the Sub FormatFormulaCells()
    below to a shortcut key

    (I recorded* a macro as the earlier steps were done manually,
    the F5 > Special ..., Format > Cells > Font > dark blue/bold ...
    then slightly edited the recorder's output)
    *via: Tools > Macro > Record New Macro

    To install the sub:
    In Excel,
    Press Alt+F11 to go to VBE
    Click Insert > Module
    Copy & paste the sub into the code window
    Press Alt+Q to get back to Excel

    To assign the sub to a shortcut key:
    In Excel,
    Press Alt+F8 to bring up the Macro dialog
    Select "FormatFormulaCells" > click Options,
    then assign a shortcut key, say: Ctrl+k
    Click OK, then dismiss the dialog (press Cancel)

    Test it out ... in any sheet with formulas,
    just press the shortcut combo: Ctrl+k
    and all the formula cells in the sheet
    would be accordingly formatted (dark blue/bold)

    Adapt to suit ..

    '-----
    Sub FormatFormulaCells()
    'Selects & formats formula cells on activesheet
    On Error Resume Next
    Selection.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeFormulas, 23).Select
    Selection.NumberFormat = "0.00"
    With Selection.Font
    .Name = "Tahoma"
    .FontStyle = "Bold"
    .ColorIndex = 5 'dark blue
    End With
    Selection.Interior.ColorIndex = xlNone
    End Sub
    '----

  8. #8
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Stumped: If a cell contains a formula, can you make text color automatically change?

    Oops, please delete* this line in the sub
    (or remark it, key in an apostrophe (') in front)

    ..Name = "Tahoma"

    (Tahoma's my default font type setting <g>)