Separating text and data in a column

  1. #1
    Amber
    Guest

    Separating text and data in a column

    I have a column that contains text and data, never in the same cells, but I
    want to separate the numbers from the text in order to do a total at the
    bottom. Is there a formula for this?

  2. #2
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Separating text and data in a column

    Amber

    Assume text is text and data is numeric, just SUM the column. Excel will ignore
    the text.

    =SUM(A:A) entered in B1 should give you the total of any numbers in column A..

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP