Closed Thread
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Can List or Combo Box have multiple selections?

  1. #1

    Can List or Combo Box have multiple selections?

    Hello, I am an excel user but never this before; I want to allow the users to
    be able to pick multiple items from a drop down list. I have tried using a
    form combo box but needed to put more than one on the sheet to get the
    results. Can this be done with a 'list box' and if so, how. I have tried by
    putting one one and selecting 'multi' but it won't select properly.

    Any help gratefully accepted.

    Thank you,
    IEJ

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Can List or Combo Box have multiple selections?

    "[email protected]" wrote:
    > .. allow the users to be able to pick multiple items
    > from a drop down list. I have tried using a form combo box
    > but needed to put more than one on the sheet to get the
    > results. Can this be done with a 'list box' and if so, how.
    > I have tried by putting one one and selecting 'multi'
    > but it won't select properly.

    Some googled thoughts which may help ..:

    By Debra Dalgleish:

    " .. You can do this with programming.
    There's a sample file here:
    Under Data Validation,
    look for 'Select Multiple Items from Dropdown List' "

    By Dave Peterson:

    > I created a list box, and want to allow a user to select multiple items

    within the cell. Is there a way to do that?

    ... Is the listbox on a worksheet?

    If yes, is the listbox from the Forms toolbar?
    Then rightclick on the listbox and choose: format control
    Then on the Control tab, choose Multi in the selection type frame.

    If the listbox is from the control toolbox toolbar, then
    go into design mode (another icon on that control toolbox toolbar
    Rightclick on the listbox, choose properties
    Change the .multiselect property to 1 - fmMultiSelectMulti

    By Ton Teuns:

    > .. created a list box which enables multiple selections.

    want to know how you can set up a cell link to return the selected values.
    This is easily done on a single selection list box by using cell link, but I
    understand that you have to program a command in VBA to do this for a
    multiple selection list box.

    This code is an example of how to do the job.

    Sub Tester()
    Dim i As Integer, li As Integer

    li = 1
    With Listbox1
    For li = 0 To .ListCount - 1
    If .Selected(li) = True Then
    Cells(1, 1).Offset(0, i) = .List(li)
    i = i + 1
    End If
    Next li
    End With

    Max
    Singapore
    http://savefile.com/projects/236895
    xdemechanik
    ---

  3. #3

    Re: Can List or Combo Box have multiple selections?

    Thank you, but I think I may be searching for something that can't be done, I
    don't know. What I am trying to achieve is similar to a combox box
    selection, it drops down and is linked to a value field beside it i.e.

    Combox Box Selector Quantity Picked Price of Item Total
    Fitting No 1 2 10.00
    20.00
    Fitting No 2 1 3.00
    3.00

    I can get this process to work using a combo box (form) but in order to get
    multiple selections so that they can pick another field, I could only figure
    out one way to achieve this and that was add another combox box which seems
    to completely defeat the purpose.

    I checked the contexture.com/excelfiles.html example, tried them all,
    selections worked but didn't move to the column shown. Has anyone else been
    able to get it to work?

    Maybe another question, the Form List Box appears to work the same as the
    combo box using the Input Range and cell link, with Multi chosen. Then the
    value field using Function Arguments needs to have the same vlookup value and
    table array. There seems to be something missing here. Even though I have
    chosen Multi and the Lookup value shows '= any', it still gives me an #N/A.
    Is it possible to pick a specific from a list box and link that specific to
    the value field. There are 3 items in the list box all with a value in the
    third column i.e.
    Column A B C E
    Line No. Fitting Descr Value Lookup
    1 Fitting No 1 1.00
    etc.
    I want to pick Fitting No 1 and get a value, Fitting No 2 and get a value etc.

    Any further help gratefully accepted.

  4. #4

    "Max" wrote:

    > "[email protected]" wrote:
    > > .. allow the users to be able to pick multiple items
    > > from a drop down list. I have tried using a form combo box
    > > but needed to put more than one on the sheet to get the
    > > results. Can this be done with a 'list box' and if so, how.
    > > I have tried by putting one one and selecting 'multi'
    > > but it won't select properly.

    > Some googled thoughts which may help ..:
    >
    > By Debra Dalgleish:
    >
    > " .. You can do this with programming.
    > There's a sample file here:
    > http://www.contextures.com/excelfiles.html
    > Under Data Validation,
    > look for 'Select Multiple Items from Dropdown List' "
    >
    > By Dave Peterson:
    >
    > > I created a list box, and want to allow a user to select multiple items

    > within the cell. Is there a way to do that?
    >
    > ... Is the listbox on a worksheet?
    >
    > If yes, is the listbox from the Forms toolbar?
    > Then rightclick on the listbox and choose: format control
    > Then on the Control tab, choose Multi in the selection type frame.
    >
    > If the listbox is from the control toolbox toolbar, then
    > go into design mode (another icon on that control toolbox toolbar
    > Rightclick on the listbox, choose properties
    > Change the .multiselect property to 1 - fmMultiSelectMulti
    >
    > By Ton Teuns:
    >
    > > .. created a list box which enables multiple selections.

    > want to know how you can set up a cell link to return the selected values.
    > This is easily done on a single selection list box by using cell link, but I
    > understand that you have to program a command in VBA to do this for a
    > multiple selection list box.
    >
    > This code is an example of how to do the job.
    >
    > Sub Tester()
    > Dim i As Integer, li As Integer
    >
    > li = 1
    > With Listbox1