Tracking Errors

  1. #1
    Karen
    Guest

    Tracking Errors

    Using Excel 2003
    Would someone give me some ideas on how to track the following information
    and which functions/methods to use?

    I want to track errors and the possible trends. For instance: We've had a
    lot of errors in the company lately. I want to focus on who is causing the
    errors and which errors are occurring the most. There could be at least 10
    people involved in these errors and there can be endless different
    discrepancies. Let's say that there's an error in the paperwork. The
    paperwork is checked by 2 different people. So if that's the error, then
    both people are at fault. If it's a data entry error, then one person is at
    fault. What is the best way to track and retrieve this info?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated

  2. #2
    Otto Moehrbach
    Guest

    Re: Tracking Errors

    Karen
    Excel can handle the mechanics of what you want to do but it cannot come
    up with the methodology. By "mechanics" I mean Excel can manipulate the
    data any way you want, to extract whatever information/conclusions you want.
    But only you can come up with the data itself and how it's laid out.
    Excel has (until the next version is released) 256 columns and 65,536
    rows and as many sheets as your computer's memory can handle. If the number
    of problems exceeds 256, you might list the people across the top and the
    problems down Column A. Then come up with something you think is
    appropriate to enter for each person for each problem. Then you have to
    come up with what you want Excel to do for you.
    I realize this isn't much help to you, but you have to understand that
    there is not much anyone can do for you at this end until you have completed
    your end. HTH Otto
    news:[email protected]...