Help! Formula that can Ref. hidden data & Populate Cells with desired text

  1. #1

    Help! Formula that can Ref. hidden data & Populate Cells with desired text

    This is the first time I have ever posted a question on the internet,
    so bear with me, I will do my best to be clear and concise for anyone
    who may be interested in helping me look good to my boss! )

    Seems the easiest way to do this is tell you what I need the formula to

    do, so here goes...

    User Facing I would like to see two columns, #1 is 'Req. Number' and
    #2, is 'Position'. In order to streamline data as well as to save
    time on data entry, a user would only need to enter a desired req.
    number into column 1 of the row they are working on. The formula I am
    looking for would be able to then take that number, reference
    previously entered (possibly hidden) data, and then be able to report
    the corresponding/ desired text in Column 2 of the same row.

    I think its the LOOKUP (or maybe something to do with a REFERENCE)
    function which will look up data in a table to return a row/column # or

    something?? Sounded close, but I don't know where to begin when it
    comes to figuring out how to turn that row/column reference into the
    desired text...

    I KNOW excel can do this. It has to be one of the most basic things it

    does, yet I can no longer sift through all these commands knowing that
    someone out there knows that this is a cinch. If that person is you,
    dear reader, please take pity on the girl who is still working at 9:00
    on a friday night and at least give me a hint?

    Being that the function I am trying to perform is a relatively simple
    one, and I don't think you'll need it to catch my drift, I'm not
    including an example of what I described above. However, being that I
    know what I am trying to say, it makes it hard to be certain how well I

    am actually saying it! SO what I am trying to say now is (hehe)

    IF YOU NEED CLARIFICATION OF ANY KIND REGARDING MY QUESTION I CAN
    PROVIDE FURTHER DETAILS INCLUDING (as many) EXAMPLES as you'd like.

    Please just let me know. I won't be heading anywhere for a while.
    (waaaah! + violins etc;etc.)

    THANK YOU! Even if you can't help, thanks for at least attempting to
    by reading this.

    MANDA
    San Jose, CA
    Okay, so like I said, I've never done this...do I leave my e-mail for
    quickest response?

    [email protected] -- too late now I guess!

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Help! Formula that can Ref. hidden data & Populate Cells with desired text

    You can put a table in another sheet than hide that sheet, assume the table
    is in Sheet2!A1:B100,
    then you put the required number in A2 and the formula in B2

    =IF(A2="","",VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet2!$A$1:$B$100,2,0))

    Peo Sjoblom

    Northwest Excel Solutions

    www.nwexcelsolutions.com

    (remove ^^ from email address)