Return Summed Count of Multiple Consecutive Numeric Values

  1. #1
    Sam via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    Return Summed Count of Multiple Consecutive Numeric Values

    Hi All,

    Return Summed Count of Multiple Consecutive (Duplicate) Numeric Values in
    separate Columns -

    I would like a Formula to Sum the Count of all Consecutive Doublets(2),
    Triplets(3), Quadruplets(4), Quintuplets(5), Sextuplets(6), Septuplets(7) and
    Octuplets(8) for specific Numeric Values and Return the Results to their
    respective columns in my Results Table.

    Data Table Layout:
    Each Numeric value will be housed in its own separate column, so Numeric
    Value 50 will only be in Column "E", Numeric Value 54 will only be in Column
    "F" etc.

    The Results Table will house the summed count of each Numeric Values'
    CONSECUTIVE Doublets(2), Triplets(3), Quadruplets(4), Quintuplets(5),
    Sextuplets(6), Septuplets(7) and Octuplets(8) appearance.

    Results Table Layout:
    Column "A" has individual unique Numeric Values on each Row .
    Columns "B"-"H" House Consecutive Counts for each Numeric Value; "B"=Doublets
    (2), "C"=Triplets(3), "D"=Quadruplets(4), "E"=Quintuplets(5), "F"=Sextuplets
    (6), "G"=Septuplets(7) and "H"=Octuplets(8).

    Sample Data - Data Table:
    RowNo. Col "E" Col "F"
    19 50 54
    20 blank 54
    21 50 54
    22 50 blank
    23 50 blank
    24 blank blank
    25 50 54
    26 blank 54
    27 50 blank
    28 50 blank
    29 blank 54
    30 50 blank
    31 50 blank
    32 50 blank
    33 50 blank
    34 blank 54

    The Blank Rows are the result of a Formula's "empty text".

    Criteria for Counting Consecutive appearances of Numeric Values:
    A Doublet is denoted by no more than two individual Consecutive appearances
    of a Numeric Value separated by any number of Blank Cells. A Triplet is
    denoted by no more than three individual Consecutive appearances of a Numeric
    Value separated by any number of Blank Cells etc. A consecutive count ends
    when a blank (empty text) cell appears.

    Expected Results - Results Table:
    Col "A" Col "B" Col "C" Col "D"
    Numeric Value Doublets(2) Triplets(3) Quadruplets(4)
    50 1 1 1
    54 1 1 0

    Cheers,
    Sam

  2. #2
    Barb Reinhardt
    Guest

    RE: Return Summed Count of Multiple Consecutive Numeric Values

    You might want to try using COUNTIF with the range selected as desired.

  3. #3
    Sam via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    RE: Return Summed Count of Multiple Consecutive Numeric Values

    Hi Barb,

    Not quite sure what you mean?

    Can you give me an example using my data of how this will work with my
    scenario?

    Much appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Sam

  4. #4
    Domenic
    Guest

    Re: Return Summed Count of Multiple Consecutive Numeric Values

    Let G18:H18 contain 50 and 54

    G19, copied across:

    =IF(E19=G$18,1,0)

    G20, copied down and across:

    =IF(E20=G$18,G19+1,0)

    Let J18:L18 contain 2, 3, and 4

    Let I19:I20 contain 50 and 54

    J19, copied down and across:

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(OFFSET($G$19:$G$34,0,MATCH($I19,$G$18:$H$18,0)-1)=J$18),--
    (OFFSET($G$19:$G$34,1,MATCH($I19,$G$18:$H$18,0)-1)=0))

    Hope this helps!

  5. #5
    Sam via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    Re: Return Summed Count of Multiple Consecutive Numeric Values

    Hi Domenic,

    Thank you very much - solution worked a treat - Brilliant!

    Cheers,
    Sam