Function to count unique items in list

  1. #1
    XP
    Guest

    Function to count unique items in list

    I am using Office 2003 on Windows XP.

    Is there a built-in function in MS-Excel that gives you a count of the
    unique items in a list?

    If so, what is it called?

    If not, how can I create a user defined function to do this?

    Thanks much in advance.

  2. #2
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: Function to count unique items in list

    Try this:

    For a list in A1:A10

    =SUMPRODUCT((A1:A10<>"")/COUNTIF(A1:A10,A1:A10&""))

    Adjust range references to suit your situation.

    Does that help?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP-Pro

  3. #3
    Bob Umlas
    Guest

    Re: Function to count unique items in list

    ctrl/shift/enter:
    =SUM(1/COUNTIF(A1:A100,A1:A100))
    Bob Umlas

    news:[email protected]...