How do I make the true return a drop down list in the IF function?

  1. #1
    Brian
    Guest

    How do I make the true return a drop down list in the IF function?

    =IF(B10="TWILL SHIRT",M2,0)

    B10 IS A DROP DOWN LIST. I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE THE TRUE RETURN BE DIFFERENT
    DROP DOWN LISTS CORRESPONDING TO EACH ITEM IN B10.

  2. #2
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: How do I make the true return a drop down list in the IF function?

    Please don't use ALL caps - it's like shouting

    Use

    =vlookup(B10, D1:E15,2,false)

    where D1:E15 is a table of dropdown items (left column) and Twill Shirt &
    other results (right column)

  3. #3
    Brian
    Guest

    RE: How do I make the true return a drop down list in the IF funct

    Sorry about the caps...

    What I'm looking for is ...there is a drop down list in B10.
    I want to get another drop down list in C10, a different drop down list for
    each different item when selected in B10.

    ie: if you choose Twill Shirt in B10, then drop down list of Twill Shirt
    colors appears in C10, if you choose Polo Shirt in B10, then drop down list
    of Polo Shirt colors appears in C10, etc.

  4. #4
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: How do I make the true return a drop down list in the IF funct

    Debra Dalgliesh has a detailed explanation for doing just that at her site

    Debra Dalgliesh's Data Validation basics

    Dependent dropdowns...

  5. #5
    Brian
    Guest

    RE: How do I make the true return a drop down list in the IF funct

    AWESOME!.....Thanks.

  6. #6
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: How do I make the true return a drop down list in the IF funct

    Brian

    Follow Debra's instructions for creating "dependent lists"

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP