data entry in excel by linking to other word doc. or excel sheets

  1. #1

    Question data entry in excel by linking to other word doc. or excel sheets

    this sounds like using excel as a data recording tool question.

    i have a client asking me this:

    1. when he creates a new order either in excel, how can I help him enter the order in excel data sheet--he wants to include order number, order items (multiple usually), quantity etc.

    for example, the order sheet looks like:

    invoice # 101

    billing address: 123 Center Rd. Shipping address: same as billing

    order item quantity unit price subtotal
    aaa 1 $10 $10
    bbb 3 $20 $60

    2. when multiple orders are created in different files (e.g. one order is one unique spreadsheet file), how can I help him update the data entry in the excel spreadsheet by accessing newly created orders?

    3. if one order has two or more order items, I hope i can enter the data sheet with two or more rows (meaning that the data is stored at order item level not just order level), how can i automatically create multiple rows for one order?

    Sorry these questions sound very rudimentary...I try not to use ACCESS. and i do know how to use excel as a reporting tool once the data are entered.

    thanks so much!

    Jasmine
    Last edited by wangxuqin; 04-13-2006 at 11:50 PM.

  2. #2
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: data entry in excel by linking to other word doc. or excel sheets

    Do yourself a favor and avoid separate word docs LIKE THE PLAGUE.

    You may not like Access, but using that is FAR preferable to the options
    you've described.

    This link has at least two versions of Access templates for customer orders

    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/te...366681033.aspx