Answers needed for challenging formula

  1. #1
    Sum Limit and marking
    Guest

    Answers needed for challenging formula

    I have a price chart with the following information:

    Qty: 500 1000 2500 3500 5000
    Lot Price: 269 308 421 503 585
    Add'l qty: .14 .14 .09 .07 .055

    I am looking for a formula that will give me the correct price depending on
    the quantity I type into the cell. However, my constraint is if a quantity
    is equal to 501, I need to multiply it by the Add'l qty cost of .14. At the
    same time if a qty goes above 786, using the Add'l qty cost will give me a
    price greater than the 1000 qty lot price. Instead I would like it to use the
    1000 qty lot price since it is less. The same applies for when a qty is at
    1801, 3414, and 4677.

    Does anyone have a suggestion that might solve my issue? Thanks

  2. #2
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Answers needed for challenging formula

    Have a look in help index for LOOKUP or HLOOKUP

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software

  3. #3
    Sum Limit and marking
    Guest

    Re: Answers needed for challenging formula

    I've tried using lookup and hlookup, but when a qty reaches the breakeven
    point where the lot price is less then the Add'l cost I want the price to use
    the lesser cost (the lost price).

  4. #4
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: Answers needed for challenging formula

    If I understand you correctly, you want to sell your stock at a fixed price
    for a Lot and an incremental price for partial lots...
    BUT...if that price totals to more than the next size Lot price
    THEN..charge the next size lot price instead.

    If that's true, then here's one way:

    With your table in A1:F3

    For a quantitiy in H1

    The price is
    I1:
    =MIN(HLOOKUP(H1,$B$1:$F$3,2,1)+(MAX(0,H1-HLOOKUP(H1,$B$1:$F$3,1,1))*HLOOKUP(H1,$B$1:$F$3,3,1)),INDEX($B$1:$F$3,2,MATCH(H1,$B$1:$F$1,1)+1))

    Does that help?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP-Pro

  5. #5
    Valued Forum Contributor
    similar to Ron's but I included result for input less than minimum in table (ie <500). For what it's worth, I think the op's break points were incorrect.

    =IF(H1<MIN(B1:F1),B2,MIN(HLOOKUP(H1,$B$1:$F$3,2)+(H1-HLOOKUP(H1,$B$1:$F$3,1))*HLOOKUP(H1,$B$1:$F$3,3),OFFSET(A1,1,MATCH(H1,$B$1:$F$1,1)+1)))
    not a professional, just trying to assist.....

  6. #6
    Ardus Petus
    Guest

    Re: Answers needed for challenging formula

    Here is a solution with INDEX and EQUIV formulae.
    There are many staging columns you can hide

    http://cjoint.com/?eoq5jc7SVC

    AP

    "Sum Limit and marking" <[email protected]> a
    écrit dans le message de
    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Sum Limit and marking
    Guest

    RE: Answers needed for challenging formula

    Ron,

    Thanks for the help the equation works. The only problem I am having is
    when I put in a qty of 5,000 or greater it gives me a "#REF" instead of
    giving me the lot price or the add'l covers price. Is there a statement that
    I can add so it gives me me these values?

    Thanks.

  8. #8
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: Answers needed for challenging formula

    Try this:

    Add an additional column to your price structure table for impossibly large
    values:
    Continuing the example:
    G1: 100000
    G2: (blank)
    G3: (blank)

    Change the formula in I1 to:
    I1:
    =MIN(HLOOKUP(H1,$B$1:$G$3,2,1)+(MAX(0,H1-HLOOKUP(H1,$B$1:$G$3,1,1))*HLOOKUP(H1,$B$1:$G$3,3,1)),INDEX($B$1:$G$3,2,MATCH(H1,$B$1:$G$1,1)+1))

    Note: the same technique can be used for values below 500...
    eg inserting a column in front of the price table with a zero quantity and a
    price for 0-499 items.

    Does that help?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP-Pro

  9. #9
    Sum Limit and marking
    Guest

    RE: Answers needed for challenging formula

    Is there another way to do this by using the current price sturcture and not
    adding another column? Is there something in the current formula that I can
    add so it can calculate the pricing at 5,000 and 5,500?

    Thanks for your help.

  10. #10
    duane
    Guest

    RE: Answers needed for challenging formula

    with layout in Ron's answer

    =IF(H1<MIN(B1:F1),B2,MIN(HLOOKUP(H1,$B$1:$F$3,2)+(
    H1-HLOOKUP(H1,$B$1:$F$3,1))*HLOOKUP(H1,$B$1:$F$3,3),O
    FFSET(A1,1,MATCH(H1,$B$1:$F$1,1)+1)))

    handles <500 and >5000

  11. #11
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: Answers needed for challenging formula

    Instead of forcing a solution to fit the way you want the data to work, I
    recommend that you do yourself a favor and use a proper lookup table and the
    associated formulas.

    Here's the lookup table (A1:H4)

    Qty:________0___500__1000__2500__3500____5000___100000
    Lot Price:___0____269___308___421___503_____585__100000
    Add'l qty:_0.14___0.14__0.14___0.09__0.07____0.055___0.055
    MaxPrice:_269____308__421____503___585__100000_____na

    I1: (order qty)
    J1:
    =MIN(HLOOKUP(I1,$B$1:$H$4,2,1)+(MAX(0,I1-HLOOKUP(I1,$B$1:$H$4,1,1))*HLOOKUP(I1,$B$1:$H$4,3,1)),HLOOKUP(I1,$B$1:$H$4,4,1))

    Is there a compelling reason to do otherwise?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP-Pro

  12. #12
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: Answers needed for challenging formula

    Sum Limit and marking wrote...
    >Is there another way to do this by using the current price sturcture and not
    >adding another column? Is there something in the current formula that I can
    >add so it can calculate the pricing at 5,000 and 5,500?

    If the table above were named Tbl and the cell into which you enter the
    quantity ordered were named Qty, then you could try

    =IF(Qty<INDEX(Tbl,1,1),INDEX(Tbl,2,1),MIN(HLOOKUP(Qty,Tbl,2)
    +(Qty-HLOOKUP(Qty,Tbl,1))*HLOOKUP(Qty,Tbl,3),IF(Qty<MAX(INDEX(Tbl,1,0)),
    INDEX(Tbl,2,MATCH(Qty,INDEX(Tbl,1,0))+1),1000000000000)))

  13. #13
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Answers needed for challenging formula

    On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 05:57:01 -0700, Sum Limit and marking
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have a price chart with the following information:
    >
    >Qty: 500 1000 2500 3500 5000
    >Lot Price: 269 308 421 503 585
    >Add'l qty: .14 .14 .09 .07 .055
    >
    >I am looking for a formula that will give me the correct price depending on
    >the quantity I type into the cell. However, my constraint is if a quantity
    >is equal to 501, I need to multiply it by the Add'l qty cost of .14. At the
    >same time if a qty goes above 786, using the Add'l qty cost will give me a
    >price greater than the 1000 qty lot price. Instead I would like it to use the
    >1000 qty lot price since it is less. The same applies for when a qty is at
    >1801, 3414, and 4677.
    >
    >Does anyone have a suggestion that might solve my issue? Thanks

    Your table doesn't have a column for Qty < 500.

    If you name your table PriceTbl, and the various rows as named in your table,
    then, for values of 500 and greater, you could use the formula:

    =MIN(HLOOKUP(A2,PriceTbl,2)+HLOOKUP(A2,PriceTbl,3)*(A2-
    HLOOKUP(A2,PriceTbl,1)),INDEX(LotPrice,1,MATCH(A2,Qty)+1))

    If you want to include Qty amounts from 0-499, then you could use a formula
    similar to:

    =IF(A2<MIN(Qty),A2*MIN(AddLqty),MIN(HLOOKUP(A2,
    PriceTbl,2)+HLOOKUP(A2,PriceTbl,3)*(A2-HLOOKUP(
    A2,PriceTbl,1)),INDEX(LotPrice,1,MATCH(A2,Qty)+1)))

    but the result of 499 being 27.45 and 500 being 269 doesn't really make sense.

    --ron

  14. #14
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: Answers needed for challenging formula

    Ron Rosenfeld wrote...
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >>I have a price chart with the following information:
    >>
    >>Qty: 500 1000 2500 3500 5000
    >>Lot Price: 269 308 421 503 585
    >>Add'l qty: .14 .14 .09 .07 .055

    >Your table doesn't have a column for Qty < 500.

    Which could mean that the minimum order quantity is 500 or the minimum
    order price is 269. At least that's what I assumed since 500 * 0.14 =
    70 << 269, so any rational buyer would buy in 400 unit lots if
    possible. The unit cost for orders of fewer than 500 would have to be
    at least .54 to make the 500 lot price lower for some order size < 500.
    That's a BIG jump from .14 per unit.

    >If you name your table PriceTbl, and the various rows as named in your table,
    >then, for values of 500 and greater, you could use the formula:
    >
    >=MIN(HLOOKUP(A2,PriceTbl,2)+HLOOKUP(A2,PriceTbl,3)*(A2-
    >HLOOKUP(A2,PriceTbl,1)),INDEX(LotPrice,1,MATCH(A2,Qty)+1))

    This gives errors when A2 >= 5000, since the MATCH call would then
    return the last column index in Qty and LotPrice, so adding 1 to it
    would go outside range bounds.

  15. #15
    Ron Rosenfeld

    On 16 Apr 2006 18:51:10 -0700, "Harlan Grove" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Ron Rosenfeld wrote...
    >><[email protected]> wrote:
    >>>I have a price chart with the following information:
    >>>
    >>>Qty: 500 1000 2500 3500 5000
    >>>Lot Price: 269 308 421 503 585
    >>>Add'l qty: .14 .14 .09 .07 .055

    >>Your table doesn't have a column for Qty < 500.

    >Which could mean that the minimum order quantity is 500 or the minimum
    >order price is 269. At least that's what I assumed since 500 * 0.14 =
    >70 << 269, so any rational buyer would buy in 400 unit lots if
    >possible. The unit cost for orders of fewer than 500 would have to be
    >at least .54 to make the 500 lot price lower for some order size < 500.
    >That's a BIG jump from .14 per unit.
    >
    >>If you name your table PriceTbl, and the various rows as named in your table,
    >>then, for values of 500 and greater, you could use the formula:
    >>
    >>=MIN(HLOOKUP(A2,PriceTbl,2)+HLOOKUP(A2,PriceTbl,3)*(A2-
    >>HLOOKUP(A2,PriceTbl,1)),INDEX(LotPrice,1,MATCH(A2,Qty)+1))

    >This gives errors when A2 >= 5000, since the MATCH call would then
    >return the last column index in Qty and LotPrice, so adding 1 to it
    >would go outside range bounds.

    Darn, thought I had checked that.

    =MIN(HLOOKUP(A2,PriceTbl,2)+HLOOKUP(A2,PriceTbl,3)*(A2-
    HLOOKUP(A2,PriceTbl,1)),IF(MATCH(A2,Qty)=COLUMNS(Qty),
    10^307,INDEX(LotPrice,1,MATCH(A2,Qty)+1)))

    --ron

  16. #16
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: Answers needed for challenging formula

    Ron Rosenfeld wrote...
    >Darn, thought I had checked that.
    >
    >=MIN(HLOOKUP(A2,PriceTbl,2)+HLOOKUP(A2,PriceTbl,3)*(A2-
    >HLOOKUP(A2,PriceTbl,1)),IF(MATCH(A2,Qty)=COLUMNS(Qty),
    >10^307,INDEX(LotPrice,1,MATCH(A2,Qty)+1)))

    Since you've named all the rows, why not replace

    MATCH(A2,Qty)=COLUMNS(Qty)

    with the simpler, shorter, faster

    A2>=MAX(Qty)

    ?

  17. #17
    Ron Rosenfeld

    On 16 Apr 2006 22:29:08 -0700, "Harlan Grove" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Ron Rosenfeld wrote...
    >>Darn, thought I had checked that.
    >>
    >>=MIN(HLOOKUP(A2,PriceTbl,2)+HLOOKUP(A2,PriceTbl,3)*(A2-
    >>HLOOKUP(A2,PriceTbl,1)),IF(MATCH(A2,Qty)=COLUMNS(Qty),
    >>10^307,INDEX(LotPrice,1,MATCH(A2,Qty)+1)))

    >Since you've named all the rows, why not replace
    >
    >MATCH(A2,Qty)=COLUMNS(Qty)
    >
    >with the simpler, shorter, faster
    >
    >A2>=MAX(Qty)
    >
    >?

    Indeed. I was going to post that this morning. It was late last night when I
    got your message.

    Thanks.

    Speaking of "faster", would something like 9e307 or 9.99e307 be faster than
    10^307 ??

    --ron