Excel Formula or tool to compare two columns of data

  1. #1
    RBS
    Guest

    Excel Formula or tool to compare two columns of data

    I am looking for a formula in excel that will compare to columns of data and
    put a result in another column. Basically: "If the number in column A (each
    row will have a different number) appears in column E (any row and may even
    have multiple occurences), put a Y in column G on the row in which the column
    A number appears." Does that even make sense?

  2. #2
    Per Erik Midtrød
    Guest

    Re: Excel Formula or tool to compare two columns of data

    I think you will need to use an ID, ISERROR and VLOOKUP.
    Something like this in G1:
    =IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(A1;E:E;1;FALSE));"";"Y")

    Per Erik

  3. #3
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Excel Formula or tool to compare two columns of data

    Hi!

    >Does that even make sense?

    Yes!

    Try this in G1:

    =IF(COUNTIF(E$1:E$100,A1),"Y","")

    Then just copy down as needed.

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Elkar
    Guest

    RE: Excel Formula or tool to compare two columns of data

    Try this in G1:

    =IF(COUNTIF($A$1:$A$100,"="&E1)>0,"Y","")

    Copy down as needed.

    HTH,
    Elkar