Conditional formatting if value in cell is found in a named range

  1. #1
    Grumpy Grandpa
    Guest

    Conditional formatting if value in cell is found in a named range

    Hi,

    I suppose this should be easy; but, I have searched and searched and
    can't find an answer in this group or anywhere else, so here goes:

    I need to know what formula to use in my conditional formatting for a
    cell such that if I find the exact text that is in the cell in a named
    range, then the conditional formatting will apply.

    EXAMPLE:

    I have a named range, "FNAMES" (D1:F3) that contains first names as
    follows:
    D E F
    1 Billy Marie Kelly
    2 Chuck Marty Krissy
    3 Artie Percy Harry

    Let's say cell A1 contains the text "Krissy"

    What formula would I use in the CF box for cell A1 so that it bolds
    with a red background? (I don't need help with the formatting part,
    just the formula).

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Ken Johnson
    Guest

    Re: Conditional formatting if value in cell is found in a named range

    Hi Grumpy Grandpa,

    I used =OR($A$1=$D$1:$F$3) and it seems to work.

    Ken Johnson

  3. #3
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: Conditional formatting if value in cell is found in a named range

    Try something like this:

    for a name in A1

    Select A1
    <Format><Conditional Formatting>
    Formula is: =COUNTIF(FNAMES,A1)
    Click the [Format] button...set your format
    Click the [OK] buttons
    Done

    Does that help?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP-Pro

  4. #4
    Ken Johnson
    Guest

    Re: Conditional formatting if value in cell is found in a named range

    Hi Grumpy Grandpa,

    =OR($A$1=FNAMES) also seems to work OK.

    Ken Johnson

  5. #5
    Ashish Mathur
    Guest

    RE: Conditional formatting if value in cell is found in a named range

    Hi,

    In conditional formatting, do the following:

    "Cell value is" "equal to" "name" (w/o the quotes)

    Regards,

    Ashish Mathur

  6. #6
    Grumpy Grandpa
    Guest

    Re: Conditional formatting if value in cell is found in a named range

    Thanks. Works great!