Index and match among sheets

  1. #1
    umba-sr
    Guest

    Index and match among sheets

    Hi,

    First of all, I know how to use Index and Match functions without any
    trouble, but this new task is really giving me the troubles.
    I have, for example, 12 sheets, each representing one month, and in each one
    31 columns, representing each day of the month, and sum for each column.
    Dates of months are set in Column 2, from B2:AF2.
    Sum row is set in column 28, from B28:AF28.
    G1 cell in 13th sheet represents today().
    Now, on the 13th sheet, I wanted to present sum for the present day, so I
    used this formula:
    =INDEX(January:Decembar!2:28,January:Decembar!28:28,MATCH(G1,January:Decembar!2:2,0))
    But, it doesn't work. It shows #ref! in row part, and #value! in column part.
    What am I doing wrong?

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Index and match among sheets

    As described this should work

    =SUMPRODUCT(SUMIF(INDIRECT("'"&C1:C12&"'!B2:AF2"),G1,INDIRECT("'"&C1:C12&"'!
    B28:AF28")))

    where C1:C12 is a range housing the relevant sheetnames in separate cells.

    But I fear it may not as it would require a date on the month sheets in row
    2 of 17th April, then it would need to be 18th April tomorrow, whereas I am
    sure you will have 1st April, etc.

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Index and match among sheets

    Here is a better way

    =SUMPRODUCT(N(OFFSET(INDIRECT("'"&C1:C12&"'!B28"),,MONTH(G1)-1)))

  4. #4
    umba-sr
    Guest

    Re: Index and match among sheets

    Thanks a lot, it works.
    But not both. Amazingly, only the first one works, second one seems to be
    working, but it's returning some other number, whcih is a lot larger than the
    correct one.

  5. #5
    MartinW
    Guest

    Re: Index and match among sheets

    Hi,
    I don't know anything about the solution for your problem and I'm not trying
    to be a smartass (believe me I'm not) but "december" is not spelt
    "decembar".
    It makes little difference to myself and most people but I think it might
    mean quite a lot to EXCEL. :-)