> but < subtotal (3,...) or countif

  1. #1
    PAR
    Guest

    > but < subtotal (3,...) or countif

    I have a spreadsheet grouped by division and region. Region is the inner
    group an division is the outer group
    Column A B C D E
    age 50-54 55-59 60&>
    Region A 50
    Region A 51
    Region A totals 2 0 0
    Region B 60
    Region B 65
    Region B totals 0 0 2
    Division tot 2 0 2

    How do I write a formula in column C3 to subtotal(3,B2:B3) for ages between
    50 and 54 in cell C4, between ages 55 and 59 in cell D4, etc then total the
    regional totals in the age categories for each division.

    This is a simplistic example there are hundreds of ages in each region and
    there are 8 divisions

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: > but < subtotal (3,...) or countif

    Just change the existing subtotal function from SUM to COUNT

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    PAR
    Guest

    Re: > but < subtotal (3,...) or countif

    I know the 3 vs 9. What I can't figure out is how to write the >< part. I
    want to know is what to write in the region totals cells. The range for the
    first total count in the example is B2:B3 the formula for between ages 50 and
    54 total would go in cell c4. There is nothing in cells C1:C3. I can not
    get the >50 but less than 54 argument to work.

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: > but < subtotal (3,...) or countif

    I see now, the layout confused me as I thought the numbers were in the
    appropriate columns.

    If you change the third heading to 60-99, you can use

    =SUMPRODUCT(--($B2:$B3>=--LEFT(C$1,FIND("-",C$1)-1)),--($B2:$B3<=--MID(C$1,F
    IND("-",C$1)+1,9)))