Average outage time?

  1. #1
    C.S.Harris
    Guest

    Average outage time?

    I have a sheet that shows when an item was logged out (i.e. maintenence) and
    when it was logged back in. The sheet calculates how long each item was
    logged out. Now I want to calculate the average outage time for all items
    listed.
    I have tried the following functions, the first one errors becase of zero
    values, the second one is supposed to ignore zero values, but it just doesn't
    work.
    =AVERAGE(J114:J164)
    =AVERAGE(J114:J164)+IF(J114:J164<>0,"","")

    Anything will help!!

  2. #2
    Elkar
    Guest

    RE: Average outage time?

    Perhaps this will work:

    =SUMIF(J114:J164,">0",J114:J164)/COUNTIF(J114:J164,">0")

    HTH,
    Elkar

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Average outage time?

    =AVERAGE(IF(J114:J164<>0,J114:J164))

    which is an array formula, it should be committed with Ctrl-Shift-Enter, not
    just Enter.

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    C.S.Harris
    Guest

    Re: Average outage time?

    "Bob Phillips" wrote:
    > =AVERAGE(IF(J114:J164<>0,J114:J164))
    > which is an array formula, it should be committed with Ctrl-Shift-Enter, not
    > just Enter.

    I tried that one also, it seemd like it should be working. I think the
    problem is with my time formatting. For J114-J164, the formula output is
    [hh]:mm and all cells that don't have info have 00:00, which I can't hide.
    When I use the formula, I get #DIV/0! or #VALUE!.
    Anything? Thanks.

  5. #5
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Average outage time?

    It works fine with time. Your cells must be text rather than numeric is all
    I can an think.