Why does formula show rather than results (not in text format)

  1. #1
    Caseybay
    Guest

    Why does formula show rather than results (not in text format)

    I'm using the sum function to add 6 numbers in excel. In one particular
    target cell, it refuses to print the answer; instead it prints the formula. I
    have made sure that each of the 6 numbers and the target cell are formatted
    "number", not "text".

  2. #2
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: Why does formula show rather than results (not in text format)

    You might have the sheet set to manual calculation - go to Tools |
    Options | Calculation (tab) and ensure that Automatic is ticked. If you
    want to leave it at manual, you can press F9 to force Excel to
    recalculate.

    Hope this helps.

    Pete

  3. #3
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: Why does formula show rather than results (not in text format)

    Formatting as Number after you entered the formula doesn't help; the cell was formatted as text *before* you entered the formula.
    Format as General or Number *and* re-enter the formula (F2, ENTER)

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

  4. #4
    Alan
    Guest

    Re: Why does formula show rather than results (not in text format)

    Simply changing the cell formatting isn't enough. If its just one cell,
    click it, click in the formula bar and hit F2. For lots of cells, enter '1'
    in a convenient empty cell, copy it, highlight the offending cells and paste
    special, multiply, OK,
    Regards,
    Alan.

  5. #5
    Caseybay
    Guest

    Re: Why does formula show rather than results (not in text format)

    That was the key! Thanks, Niek!