excel, automatic date and time when info gets entered

  1. #1
    shorty
    Guest

    excel, automatic date and time when info gets entered

    in excel, i am trying to get the date and time to automatically enter itself
    when info is entered in another cell

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    Chicago, IL
    try this formula in the cell where you want the date and time to appear. make sure the cell is formatted for Dates.

    =if(cell<>0,NOW(),"")

    where cell is the cell reference of where you are entering your data.

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: excel, automatic date and time when info gets entered

    Do you then want that date to be static?

    Right-click on the sheet tab and "View Code".

    Copy/paste the following event code to that module.

    As you enter/edit data in column A, the date/time will be stamped in column B.

    'when entering data in a cell in Col A
    On Error GoTo enditall
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    If Target.Cells.Column = 1 Then
    n = Target.Row
    If Excel.Range("A" & n).Value <> "" Then
    Excel.Range("B" & n).Value = Now
    enditall:
    Application.EnableEvents = True
    End Sub

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  4. #4
    shorty
    Guest

    Re: excel, automatic date and time when info gets entered

    this works perfectly except that when I enter something in the cells it makes
    the time the same for all the cells. I need every cell to have it's own
    actual date and time.

  5. #5
    Forum Contributor
    Chicago, IL
    yeah, my bad. I forgot that both NOW() and TODAY() update themselves when the spreadsheet recalculates. Sorry about that.

    Without doing it manually, a macro like Gord suggeted would be the only way to get a static date.