average-very longer list

  1. #1
    Danny
    Guest

    average-very longer list

    I have a very longer list (column) of numbers for two years, by day. Each
    day contains 12 numeric entries. I need to determine the daily average of
    these numbers. While an average formula can simply be used, it has to be
    re-entered for every 12 rows 730 times (365x2). Is there a more efficent way
    to write the average formula and then copy? Basically the first 12 numbers
    are averaged, then the next 12 down the column, then the next 12, etc.

    Thanks in advance,

    Danny

  2. #2
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    re: average-very longer list

    Danny wrote...
    >I have a very longer list (column) of numbers for two years, by day. Each
    >day contains 12 numeric entries. I need to determine the daily average of
    >these numbers. While an average formula can simply be used, it has to be
    >re-entered for every 12 rows 730 times (365x2). Is there a more efficent way
    >to write the average formula and then copy? Basically the first 12 numbers
    >are averaged, then the next 12 down the column, then the next 12, etc.

    If your data were in a range named Data, and the topmost average were
    to appear in cell X99 with the subsequent averages below it, you could
    try

    X99:
    =AVERAGE(INDEX(Data,12*ROWS(X$99:X99)-11):INDEX(Data,12*ROWS(X$99:X99)))

    and fill X99 down into X100:X828.

  3. #3
    Danny
    Guest

    re: average-very longer list

    Harlan,

    Thanks for the help. Unfortunatley I double posted (slightly different) do
    to a power failure causing me to think the original post did not get out.

    I tried Biff's suggestion of AVERAGE(OFFSET(A$1,(ROWS($1:1)-1)*12,,12)) and
    it worked.

    I will try your solution and get back.

    Thanks