Lookup function experts.. I need ascending and decending lookups of a series of data.. can you help me sort this out

  1. #1
    BillReese
    Guest

    Lookup function experts.. I need ascending and decending lookups of a series of data.. can you help me sort this out

    I have a list of values like this:
    A B
    1 1.10

    2 1.20

    3 1.31

    4 1.40

    5 1.49

    6 1.57

    7 1.65

    8 1.70

    9 1.74

    10 1.75

    11 1.73

    12 1.66

    13 1.58

    14 1.49

    15 1.41

    I want to extract two values. One from the top and one from below the maximum value ( 1.75) which are lesser than 1.6.

    The reason I need this formula is: I work with spectra files. Spectra traces have a "Peak" value.. I need to find values at 1/2 height peak values. I also need the location of those two values in order to return adjacent values in column A.

    thanks very much for any help.

    BillReese

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Lookup function experts.. I need ascending and decending lookups of a series of data.. can you help me sort this out

    Hi!

    What does this mean?

    >One from the top and one from below the maximum value ( 1.75) which are lesser than 1.6

    Based on your sample data what results are you looking for?

    Biff

  3. #3
    BillReese
    Guest

    Re: Lookup function experts.. I need ascending and decending lookups of a series of data.. can you help me sort this out

    I said it already, you must not have read my note completly.

    I am looking for "2" VALUES

    Value #1 ( the value above "peak" value )
    I am looking for highest value < 1.6

    Value #2 (the value below "peak" value)
    I am looking for highest value < 1.6

    I don't know how to say it more simple than that.

    "Biff" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    Hi!

    What does this mean?

  4. #4
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Lookup function experts.. I need ascending and decending lookups of a series of data.. can you help me sort this out

    Oh, I think I get it now!

    So:

    Value #1 = 1.57
    Value #2 = 1.58

    For V1:

    Entered as an array using the key combination of CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER:

    =MAX(IF(B1:INDEX(B1:B15,MATCH(MAX(B1:B15),B1:B15,0))<C1,B1:INDEX(B1:B15,MATCH(MAX(B1:B15),B1:B15,0))))

    For V2: (array entered)

    =MAX(IF(INDEX(B1:B15,MATCH(MAX(B1:B15),B1:B15,0)):B15<C1,INDEX(B1:B15,MATCH(MAX(B1:B15),B1:B15,0)):B15))

    Biff

  5. #5
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Lookup function experts.. I need ascending and decending lookups of a series of data.. can you help me sort this out

    P.S.

    In the formulas, C1 holds the criteria: 1.6

    Biff

  6. #6
    BillReese
    Guest

    Re: Lookup function experts.. I need ascending and decending lookups of a series of data.. can you help me sort this out

    Thank you, I figued out I needed to put 1.6 into cell C1 right away.

    But when I paste both formulas into cells D1 and D2 and enter the formulas as "array formulas" I get " #N/A " reported in both D1 and D2.

    Perhaps it's because your outside "IF" statement has no explicit failure condition. I am not great with array formulas, and I am finding it a little tough to debug your problem, I can basically see what you are trying to do, and I don't know what you got wrong yet..

    Thanks,
    BillReese

  7. #7
    BillReese
    Guest

    Re: Lookup function experts.. I need ascending and decending lookups of a series of data.. can you help me sort this out

    I'm sorry... Just found out when I pasted my data from column B into a fresh Excel worksheet.. Those numbers came back formatted as TEXT... After I found that out.. then I manually typed them in as numbers... everything now works as you said it would.

    Thanks
    BR