need help with a vlookup but returning a particular match?

  1. #1
    D7ONO
    Guest

    need help with a vlookup but returning a particular match?

    vlookup e.g.

    Line 1 (Table)(Col A)REF123(ColB)245
    Line 2 (Table)(Col A)REF123(ColB)246
    Line 3 (Table)(Col A)REF123(ColB)247 and so on..

    On column C(above) i need to return column b from the array.(below)

    Line 1 (Array)(Col A)REF122(ColB)243
    Line 2 (Array)(Col A)REF123(ColB)244
    Line 3 (Array)(Col A)REF123(ColB)245

    when i do a vlookup i have to use column A for the data but when i ask for
    column b to be returned it dosent match (Line 1 on Table pulls through line 2
    on array when i need line 3 which is the correct match.

    Is it possible to do this?

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: need help with a vlookup but returning a particular match?

    How would it know, it returns the first match.

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Forum Expert
    Waikato, New Zealand
    MS-Off Ver
    2010 @ work & 2007 @ home
    Posts
    2,243
    Hi,
    As Bob has said, vlookup isn't that smart - & I may be slightly off track here, but why is line 3 the correct match?
    If it's b/c this row (ie column A value & column B value) is identical in both the table & the array, what is the point of returning column B (of array) in column C of the Table (you could just type"=B1")?

    If your intention is to return a value from an identical row you need to use a concatenated helper column (eg, cell C1 contains "=A1&"%"&B1") for your lookup/matching or a sum product formula.

    Rob Brockett
    NZ
    Always learning & the best way to learn is to experience...

  4. #4
    D7ONO
    Guest

    Re: need help with a vlookup but returning a particular match?

    with the data i have i firstly have to do the lookup by using column a to
    match the data however columns b also have to match as they can be different
    which is why line 3 is correct (colB is 245 on both sheets) whereas line 2 on
    the array column b is 244 this is why i need a formula to search on column b
    after the initial lookup.

    hope this makes sense

  5. #5
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: need help with a vlookup but returning a particular match?

    Seems odd that you want to find a value that you already have?

    =INDEX(Table!B1:B100,MATCH(1,(Table!A1:A100=Array!A1)*(Table(B1:B100=Array:B
    1),0))

    which is an array formula, it should be committed with Ctrl-Shift-Enter, not
    just Enter.