Counting when both match

  1. #1
    Greg D
    Guest

    Counting when both match

    Here's where I need some help. I have a spreedsheet that will list off some
    companyies like Company A, Company B. The next column has dates, like
    1/25/06, 2/1/06.

    The formula needs to only count how many times that Company A has a date
    between 1/1/06 and 1/31/06. Then I'll repeat the formula for Company B. The
    2 numbers have to match the total # of line entries in the worksheet.

    Please help

  2. #2
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: Counting when both match

    Try something like this:

    With your list in A1:B100
    Where:
    Col_A contains comany names
    Col_B contains dates

    D1: (start date)
    E1: (end date)

    F1: Company_A
    F2: Company_B

    G1: =SUMPRODUCT(($A$1:$A$100=F1)*($B$1:$B$100>=$D$1)*($B$1:$B$100<=$E$1))
    Copy that formula down to G2

    Is that something you can work with?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP-Pro

  3. #3
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: Counting when both match

    Assume your main data is in columns A and B, and suppose it covers row
    1 to row 100. Use D1 for the start date (1/1/06), D2 for the end date
    (1/31/06) and enter this formula in D3:

    =SUM(IF(($A$1:$A$100="CompanyA")*($B$1:$B$100>=D1)*($B$1:$B$100<=D2),1,0))

    This is an array formula, so once you have typed it in (or when you
    subsequently edit it) you must use CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER instead of just
    ENTER. If you do this correctly then Excel will wrap curly braces { }
    around the formula - you must not type these yourself.

    The formula will count the number of times Company A exists in column A
    with dates in column B which are between (and including) the dates in
    D1 and D2. Change it to "CompanyB" for that count. If you have dates
    which are outside the range, then the two counts will not match the
    total number of entries.

    Hope this helps.

    Pete

  4. #4