[SOLVED] vlookup with search?

  1. #1
    maryj
    Guest

    [SOLVED] vlookup with search?

    On one sheet I have a list of complete UPC codes. On another sheet, the UPC
    codes are only partial numbers. I need to do a look up to match the partial
    UPC with the full UPC.
    --
    maryj

  2. #2
    Iskus23
    Guest

    RE: vlookup with search?

    When using VLookups, if you leave the final field blank instead of saying
    false, it will find fields that are close. See if this helps.

  3. #3
    maryj
    Guest

    RE: vlookup with search?

    Thanks - I tried that - it doesn't work. It does not always bring in the
    correct result.
    --
    maryj

  4. #4
    Iskus23
    Guest

    RE: vlookup with search?

    Do you have any other fields that would match exactly? Perhaps you could do
    the Vlookup using one of those.

  5. #5
    maryj
    Guest

    RE: vlookup with search?

    I wish there was another field to use.
    --
    maryj

  6. #6
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Boston, MA US
    Posts
    1,094
    Mary,

    Try this.

    =SUMPRODUCT((ISNUMBER(SEARCH(A1,Sheet3!$A$1:$A$4,1)))*(Sheet3!$A$1:$A$4))

    This is where A1 is your partial code and Sheet3!A1:A4 is your complete codes. Copy this down your list of partials. This also assumes that your partials will be unique to only one complete code.

    Does that help?

    Steve